Pillow adjustment

Roybrew

I purchased one of those packable Thermorest pillows, a few years back. I never quite warmed up to it. I like my pillow a little flat and this one was a bit big. So I un-fluffed it a bit. I wasn't in the least impressed with what it was stuffed withIMG_20220814_081015326__exported_1400_1660498016552~2.jpgIMG_20220814_081212493~2.jpgIMG_20220814_081547939~2.jpg I should've went into the medical profession. Just rip seam, pull it's guts out, and stitch it back back. Much better now. Just thought I'd share this.
Roy

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

...well, as you know, this would be an excuse for me to purchase something new. Though I admire you for your practical solutions to problems I tend to go shopping. :Smile2:

Roybrew

Just trying to make due with what I have. Some people like big poofy pillows, but I like mine a little flat.

Talk about shopping, I just purchased a larger air mattress. Last time my wife and I went camping, she kept pushing me off the one we have IMG_20220821_092608393~2.jpg it's a full size. So I bought a queen size. Sorry no picture of it. We blew it up to try it out. Of course my better half, likes it deflated quite a bit. Then she just rolls in the center, and I don't have enough room, even tho I weigh 80 more pounds then her. I should've just bought her a cot. 2 separate cots sounds very good to me. Like back in the older shows where the parents had separate beds in the same room. I think they knew something. Good Grief.
Roy

Northern Dancer

Just trying to make due with what I have. Some people like big poofy pillows, but I like mine a little flat.

Talk about shopping, I just purchased a larger air mattress. Last time my wife and I went camping, she kept pushing me off the one we have View attachment 3604 it's a full size. So I bought a queen size. Sorry no picture of it. We blew it up to try it out. Of course my better half, likes it deflated quite a bit. Then she just rolls in the center, and I don't have enough room, even tho I weigh 80 more pounds then her. I should've just bought her a cot. 2 separate cots sounds very good to me. Like back in the older shows where the parents had separate beds in the same room. I think they knew something. Good Grief.
Roy

====> I feel fortunate in a way...I'm celibate and I don't share my mattress with anyone.

This is the mattress I'm using at the moment for base camp living. Four inches and self-inflating. It's 71 1/2 inches long and 30 inches wide.

Thorry

None of the ones I've tried have been perfect. The Thermarest, which is one of the heavier options, has, for whatever reason, been the one that has worked best for me. The GG stuff sack pillows are wonderful AS LONG AS YOU ARE TRAVELING ENOUGH CLOTHING TO MAKE A DECENT PILLOW. Typically, I'm wearing the majority of the clothes I brought. If you have a local REI store, visit there and give some of the possibilities offered there a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roybrew

We have an REI store about 60 miles from here in Knoxville. I don't go there very often. They do have very good stuff, and they do stand behind their products. I have an insulating pad, it is the Bass Pro Shop brand. I bought it 6 years ago, I think. The Thermorest pillow is going to be un-stuffed and re-stuffed with polyfill or something like that. That chunked up foam rubber stuff Sucks!
Roy

(The Great Outdoors)

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Tried a wallymart travel pillow some years back and it still lives in the stuff sack with the sleeping bag (and a travel sized pillow case).
Its not great but not obnoxious, either.

Enjoy!

Roybrew

Took me long enough. I emptied the Thermorest pillows guts out this afternoon. IMG_20221226_150620417_HDR.jpgIMG_20221226_150743724_HDR.jpgIMG_20221226_150858823_HDR.jpg Ahh! It's got me! It's clinging to me. What mess. I had to shop vac the rest of it off of me. Maybe to much static stuff going on right now.IMG_20221226_155036692_HDR.jpg Re-stuffed with a green polyfill. Kitty approved. IMG_20221226_171913275.jpgMuch better now.

The Great Outdoors

Northern Dancer

You had me worried there for just a moment. I thought the cat [soft and cuddly] was going in the sack. Well...if it was me, I would be opting to give that one away and buy a new one. Or, make my own. Just sayin.

Roybrew

The pillow case is good. I didn't like the chunked up foam rubber. Looked like they run Granny's old bed mattress thru a shredder. Thermorest should do better then that.

The Great Outdoors

Roybrew

=====> Non-controversial...non-controversial? Oh! Right...I know what you are talking about. Got it! :Smile2: :Smile2:

WELCOME "cipibex892". Actually, it's a fabulous site.
I believe that is correct? We may have a few conflicting views, or a little disagreement once in awhile, but nothing that leads to any squabble I don't think [emoji848]. Do we? Ha funny. Outdoor Base Camp is a great site. Do you agree or should we debate it?
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Northern Dancer

I believe that is correct? We may have a few conflicting views, or a little disagreement once in awhile, but nothing that leads to any squabble I don't think [emoji848]. Do we? Ha funny. Outdoor Base Camp is a great site. Do you agree or should we debate it?
Roy

The Great Outdoors

=====> ABSOLUTELY! I've never found a site as good as this one. We have some mighty fine folks who belong and there are a number who are talented and skilled too. Even funny.

ppine

Forester
The older I get the more picky I am about sleeping. At home I use a combo of blankets and sleeping bags and a flat pillow.
Not much backpacking these days so now I bring lots of stuff on truck and boat trips. For cold truck camping 2 sleeping bags, 2 pillows,. a couple of Pendleton blankets and lots of padding to sleep on. A blanket for my dog.

Roybrew

I love being out, but I'm not going to sacrifice my comfort. I'm not into the ole bragging about being miserable, but surviving stuff. I never really understood the best ways to stay warm on cold nights, till I got on here and learned from you all. I used to just suffer thru those freezing cold times and told myself that I was just a wuss or I needed more expensive gear.
I take enough to sleep comfortably now.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

ppine

Forester
Nessmuk, one of the original outdoor writers. George Sears was his name, wrote about roughing it, but also "smoothing it." It is unfortunate that people seem to remember only the roughing it part. Camping became the popular anecdote for modern life around the 1920s. It was when people in America started to get tired or urban living. The thought was that the robust outdoor life with lots of activity and some hardship was what people needed in their lives.

Thoughtful people have learned since that smoothing it is the best option. Nothing better than being well fed, warm and comfortable in the outdoors especially during tough conditions. It takes a lifetime to perfect the skills.

I remember a mule packing guide in Colorado Billy Joe Dilley, told me 40 years ago "if people get fed and get some sleep, they can put up with a lot."
I never forgot those words.

I bring long johns on about every trip even in summer. I like having an extra blanket, some extra food. You never know who you might meet on the trail that needs some help.