Warmest Tent

Chilly

Are there any tents that are warmer than others? If there is, what is the warmest tent that I could find to buy, for cooler weather use?

MoreTime

There are winter, and four seasons tents that are better suited for cold weather. The ground however will be one of the coldest parts, so you'll need good insulation underneath you.

Barney

Exactly, I suggest at least a ground cloth (thermal) underneath the tent. Suitable temperature sleeping bag is a must. Sleeping pad is optional but it can help additionally.

IndianaHiker

All of these post have great information. However don't rely on a tent for warmth. The warmth will come from you sleeping system. This should include you bag,thermal pad, and any needed base layers. I currently use a 30 degree synthetic bag )down is better but expensive) and wear base layers with it when needed. I also have 2 pads a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core, and a Thermarest Traillite. Using the 30 degree bag and one of the pads which are insulating I can sleep in temps near 0 and be comfortable.

Biggest difference in the tents is the ability to withstand high winds and snow loads without failing. True alpine tent may be a bit warmer but they are heavier and very expensive.

John13np

and a Thermarest Traillite. .

How do you like the Thermarest Traillite? I was going to get one but I ended up with the Ridge Rest (small) instead. I have never used a sleeping pad before, just always my Thermarest ProLite sleeping pad, but since I bought my Golite 800 down quilt (I have never used a quilt beofre) I figures it to be a good idea to add a sleeping pad underneath.

I was wonder if I should also go with a Trailite for winter camping or not?

Sorry for stealing the thread, but all I just saw that thats what you use so i was wondering, and any other input would also be appreciated. Thanks! (and sorry. haha)

IndianaHiker

John the thermarest is pretty good. Just used it on a 20 degree night and didn't any any cold from the ground. My Big Agnes however is died on my first night out and I still need to send it back. I like the Big Anges IAC as it is thicker (when inflated) and easier to carry but I have been using the Thermarest for about 5 years with no problems at all. Overall one of the best purchases I have ever made. There is some pics of the colder weather trip I posted in the Backpacking section was about 23 degrees that night.

ChadTower

All of these post have great information. However don't rely on a tent for warmth. The warmth will come from you sleeping system. This should include you bag,thermal pad, and any needed base layers. I currently use a 30 degree synthetic bag )down is better but expensive) and wear base layers with it when needed. I also have 2 pads a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core, and a Thermarest Traillite. Using the 30 degree bag and one of the pads which are insulating I can sleep in temps near 0 and be comfortable.

I have never tried that but have always been curious about your face. I get that you can bundle everything else up with the right gear and be safe. What do people do about their face? It's not like you can use a snorkel. :)

Grandpa

John, I've been using the T rest trail comfort for the last few years. It has been great even on 10 degree frozen ground. I think the comfort is 2 inch while the trail lite is 1 1/2.

Chilly? in answer to your question, if you really want warm, I'd suggest skipping all the mainstream tents and going straight to a custom cabin wall tent. There is a plethora of sheepherder stoves available such as the one shown above. These heavy canvas tents can carry you through a winter if you lay in enough firewood.

Wall Tents, Canvas Tents and Hunting Stoves all at Discount Prices

Newanderthal

Eureka Zeus. Very warm, very light, but may experience condensation in the colder months. Bring a small towel.

Hannah

Ok folks, what is a "buddy heater" and where would one purchase such a thing? My husband wants to do some winter camping but we don't have the necessary gear right now.

konadownhill

Low oxygen shut off, indoor safe. Go with the Big Buddy though... more heat. Also consider a canvas (Springbar or Kodiak) tent. Not only less heat transfer, but more durable with the heater. If the heater touches my ultralight Sierra Designs, it will melt / burn an instant hole. Canvas, less worry.