Preparing Deer Meat To Taste Like Beef

Tubby

I love deer meat and always try to bag one at least every season. However, my wife doesn't like the taste of deer meat. No matter how I prepare it, she can still taste that it's deer and not beef. Is there any way I can try that will "hide" the taste of the meat and make it taste more like beef?

Judy Ann

I love deer meat and always try to bag one at least every season. However, my wife doesn't like the taste of deer meat. No matter how I prepare it, she can still taste that it's deer and not beef. Is there any way I can try that will "hide" the taste of the meat and make it taste more like beef?
Yes. IMO, if the deer wasn't ancient, dropped when shot, and was processed correctly many cannot taste any gamey flavor if cooked and prepared correctly (according to the cut). There are a few tricks however, like using the ground venison the same as you would beef in spaghetti sauce, chili and meatballs. I find that vension burgers need some ground chuck added or they will be too dry. I cook roasts low and slow after applying a rub and letting it sit for at least 24 hours. Perfect for dutch ovens and crock pots.

Grill the tenderloin seasoned simply or as you would a beef tenderloin to barely (135 degrees) medium rare (I sear both over high heat briefly and then cook over indirect heat with the grill lid down) and serve with your favorite sides and a nice cabernet. If you make beef cubed steak low and slow with onions, venison is even better. I'm really getting hungry now!!!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

jason

fear no beer
What if you grind up a 50/50 mixture of chop meat? I'll have to ask some other people for other ideas.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Most doe meat tastes like beef already but the way to remove the gamey taste from buck is to marinate it in red port wine.

Newanderthal

What if you grind up a 50/50 mixture of chop meat? I'll have to ask some other people for other ideas.
That's my suggestion. Make deer burgers by mixing it with ground chuck. If that doesn't work, she'll just have to stick with less gamey meats. Poor you. You'll have to eat all that venison by yourself... unless you want some help. I can tell you the address of a freezer that has some extra storage space. ;)

ChadTower

What is her objection to "tasting like deer" rather than beef? Maybe you should just stop giving the woman venison... save it for yourself. :)

jason

fear no beer
What is her objection to "tasting like deer" rather than beef? Maybe you should just stop giving the woman venison... save it for yourself. :)

Not sure why, but that just made me chuckle. Sounds like something I might do too.

guns4570

I process all of my venison my self. I remove all of the fat that I can find. Deer fat gets rancid very quickly and taste like bad mutton. I usually add 25% beef and even might add beef fat if needed to Hamburger.

wvbreamfisherman

There are two things I've found that are important to having good flavor in venison, the first as guns4570, is to remove all possible fat. The second is to never cut through a bone with a saw when butchering a deer. The bone dust contains marrow, and it goes rancid very rapidly as well. Always debone or disjoint when butchering.

SweetSassyLady

Have you tried soaking the roasts in salted water overnight in the refrigerator and then using packets of dry onion soup mix to season it with? I have found that makes it taste pretty much like beef for me. Some people just have different tastes when it comes to food.

Lamebeaver

Personally, I prefer venison to beef. I know of no way to get rid of the taste other than to disguise it with spices or prepare it in a way (like spagetti sauce) where it's overpowered by other flavors.

I know a lot of people mix ground venison with ground pork or pork sausage to add moisture. I like to just lay a strip of bacon on top of each patty.

MountainMan22

I don't like deer meat and my mom knows this. She tried to trick me one time by putting half deer meat and half beef for my burger. She failed, because I immediately knew it. You can't fool a picky eater.

charley

I like the taste of deer meat. Something vinegary will change the taste some. The best way is to cold pack can it. I have fooled a picky eater but not with a burger.

MountainMan22

Well charley, that certainly wasn't me. I have super sonic ultra taste buds. I'm one of the pickiest you could ever meet. Well, I like a lot of things, but many things I do not like or won't even try. I can sense an odd taste in anything. Deer meat is very strong to me.

Grandpa

Well charley, that certainly wasn't me. I have super sonic ultra taste buds. I'm one of the pickiest you could ever meet. Well, I like a lot of things, but many things I do not like or won't even try. I can sense an odd taste in anything. Deer meat is very strong to me.
I used to have my mind made up I didn't like tomatoes until one time I was hungry and someone offered me half a BLT. Being hungry makes lots of stuff taste good.

ppine

Forester
Field dressing, handling of the carcass and aging are all important. I like to cook it low and slow and add lots of flavoring agents.

Picky eaters and I rarely get along.

Last edited:

ChadTower

I used to have my mind made up I didn't like tomatoes until one time I was hungry and someone offered me half a BLT. Being hungry makes lots of stuff taste good.

Best point of view on this. Easily the best. I have had conversations with people who will take risks that could leave their family in serious financial straits. These folks pretty commonly say things like "I'm not afraid for my family to be hungry for a bit if it pays off in the end. No pain no gain."

People who are not afraid to be hungry have never really been hungry. All food tastes amazing when you're truly hungry.

Grandpa

People who are not afraid to be hungry have never really been hungry. All food tastes amazing when you're truly hungry.
This thought brought to mind a late season hunting trip. My son, a son in law and a couple of my nephews had been hunting in the high country all day and the afternoon rain had turned to snow. The first of us had reached the days end rendezvous, and got a fire going under a granite outcrop waiting for everyone to arrive before getting off the mountain. We all went to the bottom of our packs for whatever goodies were left and it struck me how little it takes to be truly happy. Soaking wet but with a warm fire out of the storm, sharing a snickers 5 ways with family you love. Fond memories we'll never forget.

I think we stayed an extra hour or two just enjoying the moment.

ppine

Forester
Grandpa does a great job on this thread of putting his finger on what is so amazing about being outdoors, especially with the right people. Keep up the good work.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
To me, trying to get venison to taste like beef is like trying to get ham to taste like chicken.

My sister is one those who says she can taste venison no matter what you do to it. I take great pleasure in serving her hamburger (ground venison) dishes. She just loves it and wishes she could buy hamburger like that. HaHa