Checklist

Barney

OK, this is probably very discussed topic and may as well go into Gear Talk forum but I think here is more appropriate. I want to build a list of as many items as I can think of. But I will need your help. I will start listing and when you add them, I'll try to update the list in my original post.

Also I hope you can add some subitems, for example, under "Food" item a salt, or bread can go.

The point here is not just to build the most useful list of items but also a very wide list. It would be interesting to see what people consider important for survival in the wilderness.

1. Water
    1. Containers
  2. Food
  3. Clothing
  4. Tools
  5. Lighting
    1. Flashlights
    2. Lanterns
    3. Candles
    4. Firestarter with magnesium
  6. Radio
    1. Solar powered
    2. Dynamo powered
    3. Battery powered + batteries
  7. First Aid
  8. Medications
  9. Sanitary Supplies
  10. Personal Items
  11. Contact Information
    1. Phone numbers and addresses of friends and family
    2. Phone numbers of emergency and government services
  12. Money
  13. Map

Last edited:

calanta

I think your list is pretty good thing and sometimes people will pack things that are not really of importance at least for the trip that is. More so people pack "comfy things", when to me hiking and camping are not about being comfy, they are about getting back to nature.

Barney

I think your list is pretty good thing and sometimes people will pack things that are not really of importance at least for the trip that is. More so people pack "comfy things", when to me hiking and camping are not about being comfy, they are about getting back to nature.
You are absolutely right! But beside putting only necessary things on the list, I want to include all useful things, where some of them might be suitable only to certain people. So everyone, don't be shy, let's hear your suggestions.

nomad

I agree with you guys about people carrying extra luggage that are not supposed to be brought along. From the list, I think I could delete the personal items because that is too broad. And many of the unnecessary things are called personal items.

Gopher

I know this sounds stupid but I would add a paperback or two to the list. I have adult ADD and I need something to keep me occupied or I'd go nuts. I take a book with me everywhere I go, even to restaurants when I go out with my family. Even though I don't read it, it's there if I get bored.

Barney

I know this sounds stupid but I would add a paperback or two to the list. I have adult ADD and I need something to keep me occupied or I'd go nuts. I take a book with me everywhere I go, even to restaurants when I go out with my family. Even though I don't read it, it's there if I get bored.
Well, it is definitely not stupid to bring a book (I do it too very often) but I believe I already listed that under personal items.

hustead

The FNG
You mentioned bread under, bread is good but I would advise taking torillas instead, they are easier to pack (they wont get smashed) and they will still last even if they get wet. Also if you are going anywhere there is bears, or any critters you are worried about coming into your camp area i recommend a Bear Can to store your food. This way you dont have to climb a tree to hung your food.

Trabitha

Paracord. It's light weight, can be taken apart to make sewing thread or fishing line. (fishing never works...but heck if you're surviving you should at least try. LOL!)

I always have a tarp too. If my tent springs a leak or I lose my tent, the paracord and tarp MAKE a tent. ;) Plus if you get it in a bright color it is perfect for signaling above.

knife. The most basic of tools. That may be what you meant under "tools" though. ;)

A tin of some kind so you can boil water and a reliable fire starter if you don't know how to use a bow. I stink at the bow.

I also keep a spare pair of glasses in my pack at ALL times. Last thing I want to happen...is that I'm out and about and my glasses break or I lose a contact. I'm SCREWED if that happens.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Now let's talk about the real thing. Survival, in most cases, has nothing to do with the provisions you've had the forethought to pack. Rather, it has to do with what you are willing to do to stay alive. What are you willing to eat? What are you willing to kill to eat?

We see commercials every day that tell us of poor unfortunates throughout the globe in situations of poverty that are shockingly abhorrent. They are, of course, followed by pleas for help at costs that would not even begin to touch the bill for your ESPN. "Don't help them all. Help just one for a few dollars a month and receive letters from them telling you how well they are doing." Your kid could be the next Albert Schweitzer or the next Hitler. It doesn't really matter. You're saving someone.

You cannot be certain. And we are talking about survival. This has nothing whatsoever to do with being a humanitarian.

Survival has a great deal to do with being somewhat less than human; at least the way we are taught to be human. We are spoiled. We have on demand everything. Nothing will make you appreciate this more than being deprived of it for even a few days.

I've done it for years at a stretch. No person on this site can tell me what it is like to have to survive because I have done it. I have great respect for some of the people here. Indianahiker, Oldsarge, Grandpa, even Michael (who I've argued with tongue in cheek) are prepared individuals I would gladly take with me into the wilds. I'm also certain I have not mentioned others here that I should. They're survivors. It won't matter to them.

Survival is not a game or maybe it is the ultimate game. If you lose...you die.

I love this game!

oldsarge

Now let's talk about the real thing. Survival, in most cases, has nothing to do with the provisions you've had the forethought to pack. Rather, it has to do with what you are willing to do to stay alive. What are you willing to eat? What are you willing to kill to eat? QUOTE]

Good point! This is what I find interesting about the series of Dual Survival on the discovery chanel. You have two guys, one who thinks ahead and carries a pack and is some what prepared, the other carry's the absolute minimum and is prepared to kill and eat almost anything to survive. It kind of deals with both extremes, although the series could be longer with more info and less editing. I would like to attend each of these guys courses.

Greatoutdoors

Being a survivor doesn't have anything to do with being prepared with "things", being a survivor is a mindset that "I will get out of this situation and be better for it , I am not just going to lay down and die". Tools and things to help you survive are great and I encourage people to get them and learn how to use them but your biggest tool for survival is your mind and all the knowledge you can stuff in there about HOW to do things that will help you survive. Don't just read it in a book though get out there and do it when conditions are good and you are not fighting for your life practice your skills so that when the chips are down and it's for real you'll be ready.

oldsarge

I agree Greatoutdoors. You can be packed to the gills with equipment and high speed survival gear, but if you don't have any knowledge of what to do with it, what good is it? I see this in all sorts of differnt areas. Guys who own guns loaded with every attachment and gimmick and don't know the basics of marksmanship, 4X4's decked out to the max with custom equipment and stuck up to their frames because folks just don't realize there's more to things than just looking the part.

franklin

I'd add compass and emergency cell phone to the list. Old cell phones that are no longer used can still be used to call 911. Keep it charged so if your usual cell isn't you'll be ok. Doesn't guarantee you'll have service but the phone will work if you do.

wvbreamfisherman

Although I certainly haven't had to survive like some of the others here, I'll venture to say that survival is as much a matter of mindset as it is preparation.

Determination to keep going no matter how tough things get, to eat anything even marginally edible, flexibility to improvise from what is available, and unflagging optimism that you will get thru it will carry even an unprepared person a long way!

How many times have we read about someone totally unprepared, perhaps even someone with no outdoor experience, that was dumped into a survival situation, that perservered and survived.

kreso93

Wow that's a great list. But I believe you should put there some energy bars and food like that. It's good to have a snack of it when you don't have anything better to eat.

IndianaHiker

To be honest I don't have a plan for whatever may come. If by survival you mean I am out on a backpacking trip and things fall about yes I could and would be fine. There is no special skills or knowledge needed. The thing that is needed most is not to panic, and keep a clear head. The places that I go between the gear that I have and paying attention to the surrounds would allow me to find water, some food, and be pretty comfortable for several days awaiting SAR to get me out.

Now if you say survival where everything in society has gone to hell and people are killing each other for food and the end is now where in site. Well that I day have a plan for. I am simply going to take my backpack and go to one of my favorite spots. I will carry what every food I have on hand,find me a pretty spot and make myself comfortable. There I will stay and enjoy in peace however many days I have left before I finally do expire after my food runs out. Might take some time as I will be able to get some food from the land but sooner or later I am sure that it will not be sufficient to sustain me. At that point I will pass in peace being in a place I love and knowing that I elected not to take part in the madness happening around me. In my little and what some would call twisted world my inner peace and happiness mean more to me than life itself. That being said my views of death are very different than most but that would be a whole other long winded discussion.

Dinosaur thanks for the kind words would be honored to take a backpacking trip with you some time.

Pathfinder1

I will carry what every food I have on hand,find me a pretty spot and make myself comfortable. There I will stay and enjoy in peace however many days I have left before I finally do expire after my food runs out. Might take some time as I will be able to get some food from the land but sooner or later I am sure that it will not be sufficient to sustain me. At that point I will pass in peace being in a place I love and knowing that I elected not to take part in the madness happening around me. In my little and what some would call twisted world my inner peace and happiness mean more to me than life itself.

Indy, I have a feeling that you would "last" much longer than what you have expressed...!!

Pathfinder1

Hi...

FOOD. Yes, of course you would need food. I would expect you (meaning anyone) to carry whatever food you could, AND have some good preparations to procure additional food.

I preach this as normal caution whenever you are afield...not meaning, of course...that you should become a hunchback from the weight of all of the food you are carrying...!!

NOTE: No hunchbacks were harmed in the making of this post...!!