Spice Vials?

Barney

Can anyone recommend good reliable vials for storing spices or other small things? These don't have to be huge, just enough to fit small amount.

wvbreamfisherman

I saw a tip for this awhile back.

Take a large soda straw and cut off a few inches.

Fold one end over and seal it with tape.

Put your spice in the straw and close off by folding the other end over and holding with a small binder clip or rubber band.

You can put a whole bunch of these in a small jar for cooking on the road.

LoveTheWater

That straw idea sounds like a good one. I would never have thought of that on my own. I did check out that link Grandpa and that also looks like something that would work nice. Keeping up with a lot of different spices while camping can be a chore sometimes.

Judy Ann

I just talked with a friend of mine who carries little tubes of his special chili powder on the trail. He said to look for tiny ones in the glitter section of a craft store. I liked the straw idea too!

littlefire

How do you get the spices in the straw? Straw holes are pretty small, from my experience. I'd rather just take my plastic containers, but I see how it could be useful for some.

Barney

Thanks guys for the advice. I know about that Coghlan's one but I'm looking for something sturdier. I like the soda straws tip by the way.

Eaglescout 49

If you have a friend who like me is diabetic, ask him or her for some empty test strip containers. They are plastic with hinged, snap top and hold about a tablespoon of any spice or dried herb. I used a Dymo labelmaker to label about a dozen of them. I then fill them before the camping trip with the seasonings I'll need. Prescription pill bottles work pretty well too.

JeepThrills

How do you get the spices in the straw? Straw holes are pretty small, from my experience. I'd rather just take my plastic containers, but I see how it could be useful for some.
You could always put the straw to your mouth and "suck" inwards.

Seriously, though --- I would like to know how to do this too. It sounds like a great way to bring a little of this and a little of that.

TroyS

Since we usually camp using a Motorhome, my wife got this set of mini jars for our kitchen. On those days that we plan a whole day of hiking, I transfer some of the spices that we need in plastic straws and label them to take along with us.

Cappy

For a Cajun country boy, a straw full of seasoning wouldn't make it through breakfast.:tinysmile_grin_t:The technique used down here is to poor all ya favorite seasonings in a baggie shake it up and make your own version of seasoning. A few sugested ingredients. Salt, Blaick pepper,red pepper, onion powder. garlic powder, chillli powder, paprica, etc etc( what you like) We usta put it in a bag when packing. a pint mason jar when canoeing and a qt jar full lived at our fishing camp. The most famous Cajun seasoning is "Tony Cacherie's" i know for a fact that he got the idea from visiting fishing camps in the swamp and seesing mason jars full of mixed spices. It's a comprimise of course, and every thing gets the same spices, but it beats the heck out of trying to find one lil pill bottle or straw outa the variety ya got in the bottom of ya pack. Pulling out the wrong container can be disasterous:tinysmile_aha_t: Take it from someone who grabbed what he thought was suger, dumped it in a big ole coffee pot only to learn the hard way that it actually was washing powder

uday

We have small plastic vials that looks like salt and pepper container. It is actually similar to McCormick's glass vials that hold and separate different dried herbs in place.