What is your favorite kind of game?

Greatoutdoors

What is your favorite kind of game to eat? So far mine is venison, but there are a lot of things I haven't gotten to try yet. I ask because on another forum I visit someone asked for a recipe for squirrel stew, and people were just appalled that ANYONE would eat squirrel stew!

Grandpa

Most people around here prefer elk over moose and both over venison but I am contrary as usual. I still love my venison steaks but take all three over beef and beef over buffalo. I've always wanted to try cougar meat but so far the cougars haven't cooperated very well but then I have never really made an effort to exact cooperation from them.

Hikenhunter

I love venison especially the back strap and the bag bologna, but I had some buffalo scrapple last year and I think it has to be the best damn scrapple I have ever eaten. As far as squirrel goes I think my buddies squirrelyque (that is squirrel cooked in homemade bar-b-cue sauce and eaten on a kaiser roll) has got to be the best.

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
At one time or another I've eaten just about everything that walks, crawls, flies, swims, or slithers. I like venison but this classification actually includes most antlered beasts, not just deer. I prefer the whitetail to the mule deer.

I like bear and lion (any variety). I really like rabbit, and squirrel makes some of the best chili as does turtle. But I think my favorites are quail and bluegill.

Quail is just about the tenderest and sweetest bird on the planet and comes in many varieties all over the globe. On the other hand, if you give me a plate full of fried bluegill filets and a cold beer, I'll be quiet and happy.

ppine

Forester
In order of palatability- moose, elk, bison, antelope, with deer a distant fifth. Mountain lion and bear are good but it depends a lot on what they eat. Salmon fed bear is terrible. I don't care much for ducks or geese. Pheasants are delicious. Chukar, partridge, quail and the like can be good. Grouse are good if they don't eat spruce needles. I have always wanted to try ptarmigan and wild sheep. Buffalo tongue is a favorite. I can eat salmon all the time or walleye. Halibut is really good. Trout are best smoked. We served buffalo for Thanksgiving for many years in CO and WY but it has gotten expensive.

Tried wild pig for the first time last year and I can recommend it. Spread the word they are good to eat and maybe they will be hunted more.

My neighbor In Golden, CO was from near St. Anthony's, ID and he had some mountain lion in the freezer. Some call it the sweetest meat on the mountain. I thought it was edible, but it had been in the freezer a long time.

Last edited:

campclose

Wow, there are sure a lot of other animals to eat! I have only had venison and I wasn't real impressed with it. My daughter went to Florida a couple of weeks ago and tried fried alligator. She said it tasted a lot like chicken.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Properly prepared, I enjoy any type of big or small game set in front of me. Have also tried a few other misc. items like crane, gull eggs and salmon eggs, plus raw tuna still on the boat. Didn't care much for the crane, though.

Cappy

My favorite game is the one Peggy is dishing outa our ole black iron pot. In other words the one we got now. Today its deer ribs in her BBQ sauce

ppine

Forester
An old story told to me by a wildlife biologist friend 20 years ago. A guy and his associate were working in the Yakutat Delta in the Gulf of Alaska, one of the world's great water fowl gathering and nesting places. A pair of US Fish and Wildlife agents showed up later a gathering around a campfire. My friend decided to mess with the Fed agents. "Joe have you ever tried owl in a Dutch Oven", he asked. "Yeah, it tastes a lot like eagle."

Grandpa

An old story told to me by a wildlife biologist friend 20 years ago. A guy and his associate were working in the Yakutat Delta in the Gulf of Alaska, one of the world's great water fowl gathering and nesting places. A pair of US Fish and Wildlife agents showed up later a gathering around a campfire. My friend decided to mess with the Fed agents. "Joe have you ever tried owl in a Dutch Oven", he asked. "Yeah, it tastes a lot like eagle."
In this day and age the feds would have been falling all over themselves to get their guns and handcuffs out....:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

ppine

Forester
Grandpa,
You are right, but this was a long time ago. The Fed agents were outnumbered by several armed biologists (everyone in the Alaska bush is armed). It also became apparent to them that this was a joke and they laughed about it later.

ppine

Forester
Cappy,
What I wouldn't give to follow you two around for a couple of days and learn something about how to live in the low country of LA.

Grandpa

That goes for me as well Cappy. My brief visit to your part of the world left me with a deep apprectiation for your skills and a knowledge of the lack of knowledge on my part.

LunaticFringeInc

I love some Venison and I love Elk to be sure. But when I am out camping I sure savor me some tree rats. I like them cooked about any way you can cook them. Cotton Tail Rabbits aint bad either. In fact when I go camping, I ALWAYS take my Ruger Single Six revolver just in case, its great for putting either on the grill. Why eat meat from a can when I can have a feast fit for a King?