Hiking on holidays?

Charlotte

The only issue I've ever had with hiking on holidays is how busy parks are. You'll also find people camping everywhere you go. I don't mind it usually, though. It is always nice to meet new people.

briansnat

Platnium Member
For many years my wife and I took a Thanksgiving morning hike. It became a tradition, though we dropped it the past few years as my wife decided that she preferred sleeping in, to hitting the trail at 7 am.

ppine

Forester
For people that work a lot, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day are big 3 day weekends for spending time in the backcountry.

Cappy

You are so right Ppine thats when Every one heads for the woods and that is why I do not. Days like that I do my camping thing in the yard and leave the woods to all the newbes and wannabes.

ppine

Forester
Like Cappy sez, holidays weekends are the worst. As a retired guy I like to do my outdoor adventure during the week. I often travel on weekends, and spend my time out there during the week. The weekdays in the off season can be eerie because it is so quiet.

Simplify

For me, I go hiking whenever I can. Seize the opportunity. True, there are crowds on the holidays but typically most are day hikers that will only go a few miles in. After a few miles people are sparse and one can enjoy an overnight in the wilderness.

ppine

Forester
Went up to the Grange Hall for some cowboy poetry and music on Saturday about two hours from home. I went up to the National Forest to sleep. All of the camp grounds were closed but I found a place to park near a boat ramp. There was no moon, no people and no sound at all except for the rain on the canopy of my pickup. Very relaxing and a wonderful trip.

Contra

I went for a 9 hour hike this last Easter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dinosaur

troublemaker
One of the best hikes I ever took was in my woods on Halloween. Took a bunch of kids aged 8-11 (and some added adults for my safety). I showed them some points of interest and told some tall tales. Hay ride followed with treats and hot chocolate.