In the canoe...into the water

Northern Dancer

There was a time I would have gotten a certificate and patch for this. But that's now in the past.

Have you ever done this?

I'm on shore, ready to shove off for an adventurous afternoon...and I tipped and fell out. Can you see the two clues? Well, the first one is the canoe is filled with water. The second clue is the right cheek facing you has the remnant of a skid mark as I slid over the rock. This is a flat bottom canoe and somehow [probably not paying attention to my attention]. Still, in a fraction of a moment, I managed to flip it over enough to send me cascading into the warm silky water. I have not done this in years.

Let's hear your story - come on, you have to have one better than the one shared.

Roybrew

There was a time I would have gotten a certificate and patch for this. But that's now in the past.

Have you ever done this?

View attachment 3594

I'm on shore, ready to shove off for an adventurous afternoon...and I tipped and fell out. Can you see the two clues? Well, the first one is the canoe is filled with water. The second clue is the right cheek facing you has the remnant of a skid mark as I slid over the rock. This is a flat bottom canoe and somehow [probably not paying attention to my attention]. Still, in a fraction of a moment, I managed to flip it over enough to send me cascading into the warm silky water. I have not done this in years.

Let's hear your story - come on, you have to have one better than the one shared.
Ha ha [emoji3526] maybe to much of that hooch. Ahm yep flip one of mine twice in one day, I was sober also. This was my 1st canoe. It was a Coleman Ramx one those polyethylene jobs. It had the pole along the keel on the inside, and the rib on the outside, it made it really tippy. To beat all I'll mounted a swivel seat on top of the stock plastic bench seat, so this raised me up another 3 inches.

I was drift fishing a river with a couple of buddies. The river was a little narrow and swift in a few areas. I let the front end slide up on a log while I fished a likely looking spot. The current was slowly pushing the back of the canoe around down stream. I figured no big deal because I would just slide off and drift away, plunk, there I went.

A little while later, I was cutting thru a small rough patch, and plunk, there I went in again. It was deep too. Lost one of my fishing poles. Then it dawned on me that I was sitting to high making it more tippy.

Another time I took brother with me. This was with my Mad River canoe. I let him sit in the stern seat because I figured he would be more comfortable. Never again. He flipped us at least 4 times.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

Ha ha [emoji3526] maybe to much of that hooch. Ahm yep flip one of mine twice in one day, I was sober also. This was my 1st canoe. It was a Coleman Ramx one those polyethylene jobs. It had the pole along the keel on the inside, and the rib on the outside, it made it really tippy. To beat all I'll mounted a swivel seat on top of the stock plastic bench seat, so this raised me up another 3 inches.

I was drift fishing a river with a couple of buddies. The river was a little narrow and swift in a few areas. I let the front end slide up on a log while I fished a likely looking spot. The current was slowly pushing the back of the canoe around down stream. I figured no big deal because I would just slide off and drift away, plunk, there I went.

A little while later, I was cutting thru a small rough patch, and plunk, there I went in again. It was deep too. Lost one of my fishing poles. Then it dawned on me that I was sitting to high making it more tippy.

Another time I took brother with me. This was with my Mad River canoe. I let him sit in the stern seat because I figured he would be more comfortable. Never again. He flipped us at least 4 times.

=====> Fantastic account. So glad to learn that I'm not the only one.

Roybrew

I came close on another time. I was working my way up stream, on my local river, and after walking it up above a set of shoals, I jumped in and started to plant my paddle while I had some momentum, and sideways I went [emoji54]. I shoveled in some river water before I got out of that one. Had to empty the canoe and drag it over the shoals again. Glad it was summer time.

Whew boy! What fun it is going for an unexpected swim. Washes the cobwebs out tho.

Ooh I got to get work. Catch y'all later.
Roy.

Northern Dancer

One of my greatest splashes was when we were headed out past Canoe Lake on our way to the interior. All of a sudden there was this gigantic tree across the river that was moving at a fair clip. My colleague was at the bow and I was in the stern. "Duck I screamed," as we headed right for the same. I prostrated myself as best as I could feeling assured that we would be able to go safely under and escape any fatality. My colleague on the other hand panicked as we darted down the river. Moments before we were to sail precariously under the log he bailed and we capsized. Bobbing down the river were sleeping bags and other paraphernalia that we thought we would never see again. The group was behind us and took evasive action. We on the other hand were soaking wet, swimming to our capsized half-submerged canoe that managed to head to the river's edge without our direction. The crew picked up our escaped belongings and righted our canoe. Guess what the subject matter [and jokes] were about around the campfire that evening?

Roybrew

If I was to yell, "duck" at my wife she would sit bolt upright and look around.

We were on a river a few years back, and we would paddle up to a nice sandy beach area and eat lunch, waddle around and pick up muscle shells. There was a shoal just above, and we thought we would venture above it. I walked the canoe just above, and we jumped in. We didn't go far till we hit another shoal, and more above, so we gave up and started back down stream. When we came to the first shoal, that we came over earlier, I was aiming toward a simple looking shoot with no obstructions. My bow paddler decided on another spot with out informing me. It didn't go well, but we didn't take on any water.
Roy

Northern Dancer

If I was to yell, "duck" at my wife she would sit bolt upright and look around.

We were on a river a few years back, and we would paddle up to a nice sandy beach area and eat lunch, waddle around and pick up muscle shells. There was a shoal just above, and we thought we would venture above it. I walked the canoe just above, and we jumped in. We didn't go far till we hit another shoal, and more above, so we gave up and started back down stream. When we came to the first shoal, that we came over earlier, I was aiming toward a simple looking shoot with no obstructions. My bow paddler decided on another spot with out informing me. It didn't go well, but we didn't take on any water.
Roy

=====> That's funny. :Smile2: And for the most part, these situations are. "Duck?" So that's what happened. All these years it never occurred to me that I should have used different words. In a moment of panic, I might have said, "Hit the deck!" Or better yet, hit the hull. But then again, what funny memory we would have lost. Then it's true too - with all the equipment he wouldn't have been able to do much other than bail.

ppine

Forester
We were paddling the John Day River in Oregon in spring flood. We waited for the river to go down for a day and a half. I was paddling some big haystacks with my brother and my Border Collie Chelan. We could sneak some of them, but we started to take on water from the waves splashing in the boat. By the time we finished a set of rapids the old Mad River was completely full of water, but we were still upright. We paddled ashore and emptied out the boat.