Yacht Dreaming

mamabear

While visiting Southport, NC this summer we went over to the natural harbor and went yacht dreaming. OMGosh! There were some there bigger than my house. I can only imagine what it would be like to go out on one of these. Anyone out there ever gone yachting?

cabinfever

I've been out several times on friends' yachts. Most were small, but one friend of our family has a large 90' Sunreef. It sleeps 8 comfortably, but can hold a nice-sized crowd for just a party.

CozInCowtown

This was the biggest yacht I was ever on.
My favorite was the second pic.
USS Kitty Hawk

USS KIDD (DD 993)
Had an A/C from Hell...er...good enough for Hell!!!
It was like a frost free refrigerator in there all the time.

carmen

A yacht is something lovely to see but I don't think I could ever own one. I am not nearly as worried about the price as I would be that I would miss my land legs. I love being able to get up and go where I want when I want, I don't think I could last "at sea" even if it were always docked.

ppine

Forester
Large boats are a way of life for some people. They cost a lot, but can be very rewarding. I used to have a Columbia 23 at Lake Tahoe. It was moored on a private dock so I paid by the month. It was large enough to sleep on, with a head and a galley. It was not a big boat but taught many lessons. My uncle had a 35 foot sailboat on Lake Union in Seattle that we took in the San Juan Islands. My Dad had a 42 foot powerboat also in Seattle that we used to take up into British Columbia.

If you are going to have a big boat it makes sense to use it a lot. There are expenses for maintenance, moorage, fuel, boat stuff and lots of other things. It makes having an RV seem like a bargain. There are also responsibilites that go with large boats. You have to know the rules of the road, seamanship, how to read weather, etc. It take knowledge to keep people safe.

I still love to go to boat shows, especially the big ones like San Francisco and Seattle.

Last edited:

Laffeet

My biggest sailboat was 25'. When I was a young snapper, I crewed some big boats on the Chesapeake Bay in summer regattas. I've also crewed some bigger boats on yacht deliveries. A 46 footer from Key Largo to Puerto Rico was a real blast. I was never so tan in my life. :)

ppine

Forester
Laffeet,
I grew up on Chesapeake Bay but only learned to sail in college. Blue water sailing sounds great but it is not for everyone. I bet you did some great deliveries.

I have a friend that has sailed everywhere doing deliveries. He has been to Columbia 9 times, and Mexico and the Carribean more times than we could count. Great stories, like a whate shark next to the boat while drinking coffee one morning off Catalina Is.

Stargazer

I have never seen a yacht up close and personal but I would sure like to. We are taking a trip to the Massachusetts shoreline in October and I am hoping to catch a glimpse of one.

ppine

Forester
Stargazer,
One of my favorite things to do is to walk around marinas and look at boats, especially salt water marinas. They always have some great passage makers, boats designed to go somewhere. Unfortunately, now some piers are locked and you need a key or card to access them. Sometimes you can talk your way in.

Woodland

My cousin has a yacht and spends all summer on it. They tour through rivers and lakes. It has everything in it, just like a mini house, so they don't need to stop as often. It's nice but can cost a fortune for upkeep.