Rubbing Two Sticks Together

CampfireCowboy

Avid Outdoorsman
The closest thing to "rubbing two sticks together" is the hand-drill. You will need a fireboard (a small cedar board is good) and a thin, straight stick. A knife is good, too. This takes a lot of practice. Hand callouses help.

YouTube has many videos on it

offtrail

I have managed to make a fire with sticks a few times. It worked because the weather was very hot, the wood and the tinder has completely dried out. It still took me an hour to spark the tinder and my hand was blistered from the friction.
Wow you got a spark from two sticks i'm impressed lol just kidding buddy.

Grandpa

Part of our visit to Tanzania was a visit to a Masaei tribal village today. They gave a demonstration of starting a fire with a drill. No bow, they just spun the stick by hand. No top cap, they had enough downward pressure with their hands. Result was a good thimble full of smoking char the first minute and open flame in 5 minutes. They laid the board notch on their machete blade. One guy held the soft board while the other spun the shaft. They had a donkey biscuit, broke in half with a depression in the center. They dumped the smoking char in the biscuit half, covered it with the other half and had a full flame within5 minutes. No other tinder or nest. I was really impressed.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
I've done hand drill, bow and spindle, friction, electrical spark and gas, lens and sun but by far I prefer and use mainly a fire steel. It's the only tool that will stay wet for days, then swim with it and use it 2 minutes later. All other devices generally fall by the wayside. Matches and lighters become useless over time and have failed me.
After showing people to use dryer lint or cotton balls with a fire steel makes them confident with fire. I like to grab some birch bark along the trail. Once in front of backpacking 101 class I was able to start a fire with birch bark on the first spark. (Good luck and dry bark!) After that it looked like a pyrotechnic show with fire steels for the next hour till everyone did it. No telling how many down jackets wound up with holes in them after that fire fest.