Chicago Basin Area

IndianaHiker

Hey been gone from the from fro a long time. Planning a trip in about 6 weeks. Driving out to Durango Co. Taking the Silverton Durango RR. To the trail head to Chicago Basin. The Goal once I get there is to Summit Mt. Eolus, Mt Eolus North. Windom Peak, and Sunlight Peak. Rare chance to to do four fourteeners. Yes I know only three are official but hey if it is over 14,000 to me it is a 14er. Anyone ever been out there. This is a whole new experience for me. These are not walk up mountains but one class 2, two class 3, and one class 4 climbs. Have never climbed before and excited about this experience. Anyone submitted these and if so any advice?

ppine

Forester
Indiana,
I gave up climbing after meeting people that had frozen their fingers off and had dead friends. SW CO is a great part of the world. You will like it there. Realize that the summer weather in the high mountains is very unpredictable. There are lots of serious lightning storms, hail and snow in every month. The 14ers are always exposed and well above tree line with nowhere to hide. I never liked climbing peaks in CO. Just going over the Continental Divide at 9 or 10,000 feet was high enough for me.

Grandpa

;)
Hey been gone from the from fro a long time. Planning a trip in about 6 weeks. Driving out to Durango Co. Taking the Silverton Durango RR. To the trail head to Chicago Basin. The Goal once I get there is to Summit Mt. Eolus, Mt Eolus North. Windom Peak, and Sunlight Peak. Rare chance to to do four fourteeners. Yes I know only three are official but hey if it is over 14,000 to me it is a 14er. Anyone ever been out there. This is a whole new experience for me. These are not walk up mountains but one class 2, two class 3, and one class 4 climbs. Have never climbed before and excited about this experience. Anyone submitted these and if so any advice?
Sounds like a fun trip Indiana. We rode that train in 2010. We got off at elk park, hiked up elk creek, crossed over Hunchback and followed Valecitos Creek back down to Johnson Creek. We followed Johnson Creek back over Columbine pass into Chicago Basin. At that time, the trail to the upper basin was worse than climbing Windom, but trail crews were working on it then so it should be much better now. We climbed Windom first. It was an easy walk up but one of those storms that Ppine warned you about set in, we were out of time so we didn't try the other peaks. My observation was they were out of my league anyway so I didn't feel too bad.

Biggest warning I can give is the goats. They are salt starved and when you go for a nature call, they may butt you out of the road to get to your leavings for the salt. Guard your pack and gear like it was food in bear country. The goats have been know to tear packs apart to get the salt out of the sweat on your equipment. the work crews had electric fences around their campsite and the goats still would sometimes get in and raise havoc.

We camped on the south side of the basin, below Columbine pass. There was a lot of old mines in the area that are still open. If that sort of thing interests you, take a flashlight. Those tunnels are long and deep. However, they may also be dangerous. I wouldn't know.

I don't remember the trail from the basin to the Needles train drop, other than a gradual decline. I just don't remember if there were any switchbacks or not but most of the climbers came in that way so it will be no problem for you. (After seven days, a greasy hamburger was at the top of my mental awareness;))

ppine

Forester
Grandpa,
Stay out of the old mine adits and shafts. They are bad news-methane, rotten timbers, long drops, rattlesnakes, etc. We lose some people in Nevada every year.

ppine

Forester
I miss Colorado and the old mines are really interesting to visit. They are one of the most dangerous places you can visit in the outdoors.

IndianaHiker

Grandpa thanks for the advice will watch out for the goats. I had heard that hey can be a pain. We will be getting up about 4:30 to 5:00 am. Plan to hit the summits and be back down to base camp by noon to one in the afternoon. Have read that there have been several killed by lightning strikes in that area.

Last summer got a bit of a taste for climbing Basically a class 2 rock scramble in Maine. Went up the Cathedral Trail to Mt. Katahdin That little taste of founding routes and the expouser left me wanting more. Then the chance to go to Co. and bag some 14ers was to much to resist. Most my mountain experience has been in the Smokys. Love them but looking to do something out of my comfort level. A grand adventure over once and a while is good for the soul. The next on after this will be going to walk the The Devil’s Path in the Catskills for Labor Day Weekend.