Trout Baits

Simplify

I have tried using marshmallow baits for trout in almost every configuration possible with no success whatsoever.

Does anyone have any opinions on possible better baits such as corn, worms, etc?

I have tried marshmallow baits in all sorts of conditions, depths, and temperatures and have not had so much as a nibble.

I have caught several trout on flasher spoons

Pathfinder1

Hi...

What kind of trout are you fishing for?

For smaller streams, brook trout can be caught with dry flies, earthworms and nightcrawlers. plus spinners. In larger streams, add live bait fish to the list.

Other river trout can be caught with artificial (or real in some places) roe sacks.

In lakes, trolling large, shiney lures...and using live fish for bait, may also work.

I cannot comment specifically for AZ trout, though...!!

Simplify

Generally fishing for rainbows.

One theory is the heat during the day down here causes their metabolism to shut down, hence night fishing for them might be a better idea.

Thanks for the suggestions.

briansnat

Platnium Member
In streams half a night crawler, little garden worms or mealworms are pretty good. Salmon eggs or Power Bait "eggs" do well for me too. I always fish them with split shot about 2 feet up the line to get it down to the bottom.

I also like a small spinner like a Mepps or Fox if the water is a bit deeper and on lakes. Spoons and jigs also work nicely on lakes.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I like cheese as trout bait. You'll need a firm consistency cheese that has been aged making it more pungent. The trout seem to love it.

ppine

Forester
The time of year, water depth, dissolved oxygen level, etc. are more important than the bait you use. The best trout fishing in AZ tends to be up in the White River Apache Res. It is high enough to maintain cold water temperatures to support healthy and large trout pops.

The best bait I know of for larger trout is half a nightcrawler, inflated with a slip weight fished between about 6 inches and four feet off the bottom.(Depending on the weed depth). The fish interpret it as a leech in a lake. With the slip weight, they feel no resistance and take the offering. I have caught plenty of 20 inch rainbows with this method.

For smaller fish and hatchery fish, any of the above methods in this thread will work. Do not be afraid to experiment. Sometimes s eggs and something else will work when one by itself doesn't.

stm1957

NotMy1stRodeo
We do practically all our fishing up on and around the Grand Mesa. Lakes are all above 9,000 ft. with our favorites at 9,800 - 10,500 ft. … Typically very cold water. These lakes are stocked at least semi-annually with rainbows, brookies, and "cutbows", but the biggest fish will usually be the wild spawn cutthroats.

Colorado is getting very particular about limiting the use of any type of live bait, even earthworms as there seems to be a correlation with live bait and "Whirling Disease", and many lakes are posted "Artificial Baits and Lures Only!"

We are far from tackle collectors and only take what we know works. Because we always buy "second rod stamps" we always have at least one rig still fishing and at least two rigs being used for one of two different spin-casting techniques.

For our "still-rigs" we use a sliding egg sinker with a large enough snap swivel to keep it from binding into the end of the sinker and then a 2 ft. leader with a #12 - #16 treble hook hiding inside a small ball of Berkley's Floating Power Bait. We prefer the "neon sparkle orange" and "sparkle hot pink". We find the floating kind about 3 times as effective. We always take at least a dozen pre-tied leaders because the fish often swallow the bait and will died from you trying to remove it, so often if it isn't a keeper we just cut the line as far into the fish as we can reach and let them go. We have caught many larger keepers that had been obviously released by this method at a much younger age and seemed to have survived into maturity just fine carrying around a small treble in their belly. The other thing about this kind of rig is that it often difficult to tell if you have a "fish on" unless you actually physically check with an occasional little tug. They can sit there for a half hour without giving a visual indication.

Our favorite though is spin-casting with "Pistol Petes" . These are like a nymph style wet fly with a small shiny propeller on front. The rig for these is a clear plastic casting bubble about 3/4 full of water left free to slide and held on with a proper sized snap swivel… Then about 30" of leader out to the Pistol Pete. These are fished like a really slow spinner just barely fast enough to make a very small wake with the casting bubble. These usually get very dramatic and hard strikes, and because they use a single hook, unlike most spin baits that use treble hooks they are less likely to snag. We typically use the #10 size to start and move up to a # 6 if bigger fish are biting. We like yellow the best followed by platte river pete, mafia pete, olive, and double renegade. These are fun to fish because you stay busy, are super effective and pretty much trouble free.

For lakes with steep shore line drop offs we also use Blue Fox® Foxtail® Super Vibrax® Spinners on a 48" leader behind a casting bubble but at about twice the retrieval speed of a "pistol pete".

In our experience, if you want to catch bigger fish, use bigger lures… within reason of course. Just saying…

troutstalker

My go to lures are the 1/16 and 1/8 ounce Little Cleo spoons. Best colors are blue/silver,gold and silver. I have aso caught nice bass on these. These are all I take on my backcountry paddle trips.

ppine

Forester
I met an Apache from the Whites at a bar in Flagstaff a few years ago. He was an avid fisherman and grew up on the Res. I asked him about technique for large Brown and rainbow trout. In all seriousness he claimed live mice were the best bait to use. He made little harnesses with two hooks on them, floated them out on a piece of bark and then pulled the rodent off the bark. Wham go the big trout.

Dougdad

archeryaddict
Add good ole leaf worms to the list and my go too,,, the little floating, black and silver Rapala that is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. I know guys who use the brown colors too with fair success.... One of Brown Trouts favorite foods when the may flies are not hatching is the shiner, or golden shiner, depending on where you live and what is most abundant in your area. My best so far on a Rapala was a Brown, at 27 inches long, and weighted in at 7.5 lbs. I caught in with a medium light rod and 4 lb line........what a fight...:Whoo:

dinosaur

troublemaker
I bagged two nice rainbow (13 and 14 inches) the other day while fishing for catfish. I was tightlining with a whole nitecrawler lying on the bottom.

TDale

Hehehehe...seriously.

No, here it is for my newfound outdoors forums:

newts. salamanders. gummy lizards. 3" plastic lizards.

A fish hates a salamander. They just destroy them. Salamanders eat fish eggs so fish kill salamanders. You do need to work the hook into the middle of the body and turn it up to avoid snagging. A small split shot at the nose of the lizard makes it work lifelike. And the fish will hunt it down and try to kill it.