Cooking Egg With Mud

HappyFeet

I learned this when I was in boy scout. When you have no pans for you to boil the egg, you could use mud.

What you do is to cover the egg with about 1 inch thick of mud. The mud must not be too thin for the egg will easily break because of heat. And also not too thick or else you will be cooking the whole night for just one egg. Make sure the mud is sticky so that it won't slide away from the egg.

Now when its set then you place directly on the campfire. Turn the egg once in a while so that it will be cooked evenly. You will know when the egg is ready when the mud has a crack.

Enjoy the egg cooked in mud.

Foxyloxy

That's just about the craziest thing I ever heard, lol. It's amazing what people discover in the name of survival. I just can't help but wonder though, what would someone be doing with an egg and no pan?

Barney

I will teach you something even better; how to cook an egg with just a pan and no egg. :D Just kidding! BTW, nice idea about the mud.

calanta

I heard something about this years ago but I thought it was pure phooey, have you tried this and been successful more than once (just luck)? I am not a big egg eater but I would attempt this, just to see if it works, then of course give it to by other half to try. :D

firefly

That is really unusual. It always amazes me when I hear of things like this. I guess we humans can think up many ways to survive.

nomad

Here is another way where you can cook egg without a pan but this needs precision and gentleness. Get a very thin stick and sharpen the tip. Now make a little hole using your knife or the sharpened stick on both ends. Then gently insert the stick in the hole going through the other end of the egg. You can now put it on the fire just like marshmallows.

Traveler

Nomad, how do you make a small hole on an egg that will not break the whole egg? This seems harder than putting mud on the egg. I will try the mud cooking and this "egg barbecue" on my next camping trip.

Grandpa

I hadn't heard about mud and an egg (it could be any egg; grouse, robin, whatever). But I have heard thunk a grouse with a stick, draw the guts, wrap in mud the same way as the egg and throw in the fire. When you peel the mud it brings the feathers as well. Never been desperate enough to try it though.

ChadTower

Traveler, there is a spot on the top of the narrow end of an egg you can poke a hole in because all of the force is being dispersed down the long parts of the shell. Applying force in parallel with the structure allows it to break the top part because that part is perpendicular. It's tricky but possible. You can also balance 25lb on an egg that way. :)

I used to just heat up a flat rock and crack the egg onto the hot rock. It'll fry up and you can pick it off with your fingers or a stick.

carmen

It makes you think back to all of the things we take for granted now if you can cook a simple egg with what nature provides. I wish more paid attention to this and would stop being wasteful.

Roy

Well eggs aren't expensive so it will be fun to try this with the kids. I don't know how practical it would be for survival but it definitely sounds like a fun experiment.

ChadTower

I suppose it would be possible to make a little bowl out of foil, break an egg into it, and toss that next to some coals. The egg would probably come right off the foil.

Don

I learned this when I was in boy scout. When you have no pans for you to boil the egg, you could use mud.

What you do is to cover the egg with about 1 inch thick of mud. The mud must not be too thin for the egg will easily break because of heat. And also not too thick or else you will be cooking the whole night for just one egg. Make sure the mud is sticky so that it won't slide away from the egg.

Now when its set then you place directly on the campfire. Turn the egg once in a while so that it will be cooked evenly. You will know when the egg is ready when the mud has a crack.

Enjoy the egg cooked in mud.
Im glad I found your post. I have been wanting to try this but haven't yet. My dad was a timber dealer back in the early 60s and he was in his 60s. I can remember him cooking eggs like this while out scoutting for timber or fishing. I wish I could remember how the eggs turned out, but cant seam to remember that part, just packing in mud and putting on fire. Heck, I might try to make time to do it today. Thanks

Rosepetals

Does the egg taste like mud after that? That's what I would be worried about. That is a good idea, though. Have you tried it yourself?

That is crazy! It makes sense, though, there is a precedent for cooking things with mud in history. We made do in ancient times, makes sense that we can still use those methods now.

southerngal

I have never heard of this before and I don't even like boiled eggs, but I am going to try it. The kids will probably get a huge kick out of it and the dog loves hard boiled eggs!

HardyC

I have never heard of cooking an egg in mud before. I have cooked an egg on a heated flat rock before though. That works really well if you like sunny-side-up eggs. Of course when your cooking for survival I don't think it matters how you cook your egg, just as long as you cook it and get to eat! I will be trying this mud trick the next time I go camping, you never know when it can come in handy. Thanks for the tip.