Water that kills swimmers

Marshmallow

A friend was telling me recently of a place near where we vacation in the summer where people have been known to die from the water in the swimming places. Is there any way possible she's got this straight? I know water isn't always good for you, but does swimming in it kill people?

wvbreamfisherman

I've read about some places that are contaminated with an ameba that can cause a deadly type of brain infection. Too lazy to Google it tonight, but it seems that they can get in to your body thru your eyes, nose or mouth. Maybe this is what your friend had in mind.

Grandpa

This thread had 3 pages earlier.

Brain-eating amoeba’ claims second victim this month

Grandpa

Water kills by drowning. I think your friend was referring to N. Fowleri, a brain-sucking amoeba that inhabits warmer waters. I have been aware of this little gem for a few years since we visit a lot of the backcountry hot springs. We have taught the kids not to get their heads under the water, although this parasite has not been found this far north.......yet.

Brain-Eating Amoeba Strikes in Summer

aldove

Where is that place? Well I am thankful that I haven't camped near the lake for the fear of reptiles coming to get inside my tent. But reading your posts about water that kills people, I wonder where that could be.

Quinn

There are lots of things in water that can kill people, such as brain eating amoebas, sharks, undercurrent, salt, big foot, Legionnaires and so on. The best advice I can give is to stay out of stagnant water.

IndianaHiker

Where is that place? Well I am thankful that I haven't camped near the lake for the fear of reptiles coming to get inside my tent. But reading your posts about water that kills people, I wonder where that could be.
All cases that were reported were in very hot areas. Seems to me that most were in Texas, or Florida. This thing was blown totally out of proportion by the media. Think last summer there was 6 or 7 deaths. Even with that many this was more than was reported in something like 20 years combined. I wouldn't worry to much about it myself. Heck more people die each year falling down the stairs in their own home.

wvbreamfisherman

I seem to recall that there is a hot spring along the Eastern edge of Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada that is contaminated with this parasite. At least there was a sign there warning people not to get in it- it's been so long since I was there that I don't recall exactly what the sign said.

IndianaHiker

Would make sense wvbreamfisherman as the amoeba has to have warm water to thrive. That in part was why there was more deaths this last summer as many areas were having warmer than normal temps.

Newanderthal

brain eating amoebas. kills about 3-5 people a year in the US, which is less than mosquitoes, bees, or coke machines. Try not to snort the water and pay attention to warnings in your area.