SPOT works

Grandpa

bad news, bad news, good news.
Been in the high uintas with a herd of boy scouts. We were working on a 50 miler award (which the boys will earn) Same dang thing that happened in Africa hit me again so I came out today with another adult that had to come out for work related.
We had plenty of very good outdoorsy adults along so no problem except for me. I left my SPOT with good backpacking friend and neighbor Matt. At 4:15 pm, the Duchesne County sheriff called grandma. The 911 button on my Spot had been activated. After a couple of quick questions a life flight helicopter was dispatched. At 6:00 pm, I called home to find all this out, got grandma calmed down knowing it wasn't me and called in to the Sheriff dispatch. By 6:30, dispatch called me back. The victim was friend Matt himself with a badly twisted knee, and enroute to a major hospital. They pushed that button just before 4:00 pm. In just 2 1/2 hours from activation, Matt was extracted from deep in the high country of a very remote wilderness. Thank you SPOT, Thank you Duchesne County Sheriffs department, and to our own Sheriffs department that stayed in contact with all of us as well.

ponderosa

I guess I missed whatever problem you had in Africa. I hope it isn't serious, or persistent, whatever it is. And sorry for your friend's injury. Good news indeed that the system worked and he's safely out. This was probably a pretty good lesson for your scouts on being prepared. And you've got some lucky young men in your group to have an abundance of experienced outdoorsmen to get them to the good places.

ppine

Forester
Glad to hear of the swift extraction.
I used to ride with a trail club. Back in 2007, we relied on cellphones and finding a place where they worked. After my wreck a long way from help in eastern Oregon the Club purchased three satellite phones. They are very useful to have around.

Grandpa

Good point Ppine. At the debriefing of our scout trips, it was decided to send a sat phone on these treks from now on. Although SPOT gave us quick response, a sat phone would have aided in the ongoing contact as to the nature of the 911, landing site, etc. If I had not left the group, the delay may have been much longer. As it was, I reached cell service about the time the sheriffs office got the message, so I was able to confirm the emergency and all participants in the group. That saved a lot of time preparing the air flight. However, SPOT, and its 10 minute tracking signal would be invaluable if the injured suddenly became unable to send a message. Either or both are life savers in my opinion. And in these vast western wilderness', I wouldn't be caught without one. SPOT may not save my life in a sudden emergency, but at least it will give grandma quick closure with the insurance company ;):Bounce:

ppine

Forester
grandpa,
At 0300 I sometimes wake up and think of all of that time in remote backcountry when we were younger and had pack strings 20-50 miles from the trailhead. People got dumped once in awhile, and there were no electronic devices to rely on. Fortunately we were young and resilient and always got home alive. There were lightning storms, river crossings, predator encounters, rock slides and tack failures to deal with. I will always miss it. Those were the most exciting times of my life.

Grandpa

Yes, those were exciting times Ppine. Many a time I wished I could have contacted home to let grandma know I was okay. She trusted me to take care of myself but it was still a worry. However, I think of the trauma and heartache Eric Robinson's family and Garret Bardsley's family have gone through. (Both hikers gone missing and remains never found.) I love my excitement and love my outdoors but sure wouldn't want the family to stew over where I disappeared. I'm afraid my kids and grandkids would tear the mountains down trying to find my carcass and really, they have more important things to do.

Grandpa

Ok...what sat phone ? Where did you get it ? Cost ?
Google "find me spot". It is not a sat phone although SPOT now carries a sat phone as well. My unit also uses the satelites to pinpoint my location but doesn't have "talk" capabilities. I have a "I'm okay" button and a "send help" button that signals my designated telephones (wife and daughters) and also the 911 button that notifies Sheriff and S&R of my location. The newer models also have a roadside button that notifies your roadside assist of a problem. SPOT also has a cheaper model that just tracks your location and also a full sat phone.

My annual fee was $168 this year which includes the optional "extraction insurance", anywhere in the world. Sportsmans Warehouse opened a new store near here this fall and they were selling the units for $0.00. Much like cell phones, the phone is free but you pay for the service. Normally, the units will run anywhere up $150 but if you watch, you can get them much cheaper.

There are lots more advantages too numerous to list here but the biggest is the peace of mind grandma has when I go off wandering. She can get on the computer and see where I am at any given moment.

Grandpa

I might add, on the scout trip this summer, They pushed the 911 button at 3:38 pm. By 7:00 PM, the chopper was landing at the hospital with Matt aboard. They were over 100 miles from the hospital, at nearly 11,000 feet and over 10 miles from the nearest trailhead. It was storming, and although the injury itself was not life threatening, Matt went into severe shock. With the heavy rains, small backpacking tents limiting Lelands (our EMT who was with) ability to work on him. There is a very good chance that spot saved Matts life.

ponderosa

I see it as a great advantage for the SAR folks as well, who don't have to risk life and limb themselves searching for days or weeks in risky conditions for their targeted lost person. And lot of SAR events would not happen at all if the overdue hiker could simply send an "I'm OK" message.

On the other hand, it is occasionally a problem for SAR folks, when idiots push the button for trivial reasons. I've read several reports of that sort of thing happening. There was a group in the Grand Canyon a couple years ago, who activated a SPOT rescue three times in two days, once because they didn't want to walk a mile to the water, again because they didn't like the taste of the water, and a third time because they just didn't feel like hiking out. No emergency, three helicopter SAR events. I think that could be solved with criminal charges, similar to people who abuse 911 calls.
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/10/third-time-was-anything-charming-–-spot-misuse-grand-canyon-national-park4790

tramp

I see it as a great advantage for the SAR folks as well, who don't have to risk life and limb themselves searching for days or weeks in risky conditions for their targeted lost person. And lot of SAR events would not happen at all if the overdue hiker could simply send an "I'm OK" message.

On the other hand, it is occasionally a problem for SAR folks, when idiots push the button for trivial reasons. I've read several reports of that sort of thing happening. There was a group in the Grand Canyon a couple years ago, who activated a SPOT rescue three times in two days, once because they didn't want to walk a mile to the water, again because they didn't like the taste of the water, and a third time because they just didn't feel like hiking out. No emergency, three helicopter SAR events. I think that could be solved with criminal charges, similar to people who abuse 911 calls.
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/10/third-time-was-anything-charming-–-spot-misuse-grand-canyon-national-park4790
thought they had room service did they ?

bsmit212

That or just send them the bill for sending the helicopter out there, including the cost of the SAR pilots.

Grandpa

That or just send them the bill for sending the helicopter out there, including the cost of the SAR pilots.
We are warned the extraction insurance will not cover facetious or unnecessary claims. S&R groups are notoriously generous with their time and seldom charge but if that chopper goes up, someone has to pay,