Brown Recluse Spiders...are they coming your way...??

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Something to be on the lookout for, from the mid-Atlantic states to the mid-west. Brown Recluse spiders are working their way through these areas. They are very small...about the size of a dime. They also are very distinctly violin-shaped. They don't appear to 'attack' people, but like to hide in dark places...including shoes and gloves.

Usally their bite is not fatal, but...unfortunately...many physicians will try to cut away bitten areas, therefore causing more damage. In many cases...cleaning the wound appears to be the best remedy.

Grandpa

:Fencing:No Recluse spiders here. The Hobo's chase them away. As near as I can tell, the two are very similar. I was bit once by a hobo. I didn't know it until I saw the big scab on my leg while showering. Never was any pain involved. Eventually, a big cone shaped chunk of dead meat fell out and I had this cone shaped hole in my leg. It eventually filled back in. The original size was between a quarter and half dollar. I was lucky it was such a small dose. Son-in-law treated a marine that had a 4 inch hunk of his bicep deaden and fall out. He just kept it disinfected and cleaned and let nature do the rest. I guess some doctors think they have to "do something" so they cut out the infected area but preventing infection is about the only thing necessary.

Cappy

They aint coming here. They been here for years. A crew member of mine got bit on the hip one time we were way in the swamps. The company coundn't find anyone that knew how to get to us so I called Peggy. She hopped in the Suv at midnight and 3 hours later got to us, took the guy to the hospital and despite their efforts a hunk of errr cheek about the size of a duck egg(lil smaller than a small chicken egg) rotted out. He missed a couple weeks work told us he had a bad scar but I refused to look. The bad news he got promoted to captain eventually and off my boat, some time later Bit again.

EddieK47

Old Yankee
Not supposed to be here in Mass. but I killed one in my shed the other day.There was no doubt what it was.