Movement Efficiency

Simplify

After watching a video in which the 'Plainsman's Stride' was demonstrated I have since practiced it whenever I am on the trail.

It is an efficient movement technique that greatly reduces the amount of energy required while hiking. It uses the principle that a straightened leg bone can carry your body weight far more efficiently than muscles can.

While hiking, keep the knees straight and, with each step, center your body weight over your forward leg. This utilizes the straightened leg bone to support body weight and greatly reduces energy consumption by leg muscles.

Your walking distance can be increased significantly on the trail and tiredness minimized.

Since practicing on the trail I have also utilized the technique for work while walking around the plant and am able to accomplish much more with less energy consumption.

ppine

Forester
When I was young and chasing girls I liked the Soul Strut. Now I am older and mostly do the Old Fart Shuffle. But I still like to walk. It is one of the great pleasures in life, and after multiple breaks to my femur, tibia and fibula I don't take it lightly.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I don't know about this "Plainsman Stride". But I used to use an indian trot to move through areas quickly without expending much energy or breaking a sweat. I'm sure some of you know what this is. I haven't used it in a long time because I'm not in that much of a hurry any more.

Grandpa

I've never heard of this plainsmen's stride but in my meager experience, those that land on a straight leg soon complain of knee soreness.

ppine

Forester
It is very worthwhile to develop some mindfulness about how you move when hiking. It is physically more efficient and safer. But there are also some mental and spiritual benefits. Walk like a Plainsman, an Indian, or a Scout. That is why we should go out there in the first place.

TDale

Trail walking is a bit different from plains walking. Roots, rocks, elevation changes all come in to play. I tend to look for the glide path. The path of least effort. The way that makes me lift my foot the least.

Simplify

I do that when on a rocky trail. I end up watching the ground and weave around the larger protruding rocks