Backpacking Life Goals

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I think I'll stick to the states, east of the Mississippi. The richness and diversity of trails here is plenty for me. I would like to do the AT in sections, and many other trails in my neck of the woods.

Hikenhunter

I agree with grandpa and theosus. I have a lot on my bucket list and I know I'll never do it all. I live east of the Mississippi and I have so much to do here that even though I'd like to do more in other parts of the country I will never run out of stuff to do right here. I would like to hike the entire AT either in one season or in sections but age plus aches and pains and softer living as I get older plus other obligations like family, work, and other bucket list stuff will probably keep me from ever doing it all. Family time has become more important to me than doing things just for my own benefit. I am still planning on kayaking the entire Delaware River in one trip, just haven't decided when. Equally, as Pathfinder said ,I am fairly satisfied with the things I have accomplished but I still do have a bucket list. I know I'll never complete it and that is alright too.

Last edited:

wvbreamfisherman

Oh jeeze- I don't know. Some sections of the AT, Isle Royale in Lake Superior, Grand Canyon, Alaska. Maybe see more of Yosemite, and Acadia.

I suppose I'd have to say that my goal would be to grab opportunities to be out as they come along.

Sort of like this video: O2 - Be more dog - YouTube

ppine

Forester
Hiking out of the country and especially remote, and obscure places is very popular in magazines right now. It is a fad. The best hiking and backpacking in the World is in North America, especially places like Montana, Washington, BC, Yukon and Alaska.

Nepal is above tree line. Some of the passes are over 18,000 feet. There is little to eat. They have problems with solid waste disposal. It is often below zero. I would like to meet the Buddhists.

The Alps are over run with people. There are ski lifts and villages everywhere. The Swiss are very tightly wound.

These are examples of expensive far away trips that aren't as good as the ones in my backyard, in my opinion.

My greatest backpacking trip of a lifetime was Chilkoot Pass from Alaska to the northern part of BC. The northern Cascades are wonderful. I like Colorado and Wyoming a lot. The Sierras are magnificent, but you have to plan the routes carefully to avoid the crowds.

Last edited:

bsmit212

Like other. Lots on my list to even list. Even though I am young doubt I will do it all. So just do what I can when I can and enjoy every trip.

ponderosa

My primary goal is to successfully turn my little girls into enthusiastic backpackers and then have many years sharing trails with them. The locations don't matter that much. There are more places within a day's drive of my house in Idaho than I could hike in a lifetime. I've got a looooong list.

When I consider fantasy wish-trips, I'd like to do some trekking in places where my ancestors are from...Wales, Scotland, Germany. That's a different sort of backpacking than we do here, but it would be fun and beautiful and meaningful to me. I'd also like to do some stuff in New Zealand just for the heck of it. But truly, I have other priorities for my family's time/money, so those trips aren't likely to happen.

ppine

Forester
The main goal is to keep hiking as long as possible. I was out in the Pine Nut Mts one day this week and the Pacific Crest Trail 2 days later. My long backpacking trip days are over. Long canoe trips are still doable.

I met a guy on Thursday that was through hiking from Carson Pass to Mt Whitney. At 20-30 miles a day he said it would take 13-18 days. He was a little guy carrying 50 pounds, mostly food and water. The Sierras are really dry right now. He was very interesting to talk with. Most of the wilderness permits at the trailhead were solo hikers.

Grandpa

My wish trips have declined to just making it out one more time. Had a good outing with the boy scouts this weekend fishing on the Blackfoot River and teaching them survival skills. It looks like I won the battle with the big C but the cure has sure slowed me down. Might be time to turn in the backpack for a Honda Foreman. But I'm still going to keep trying. The Winds, Sawtooths and Uintas just keep calling.

Simplify

My primary goal is to successfully turn my little girls into enthusiastic backpackers and then have many years sharing trails with them. .
That is a great goal. Instill a love for outdoors in kids at an early age.

Too many kids these days will do nothing outdoors and just stay glued to video games.

Blazer

I'm just getting started with backpacking, having done a lot of camping and hiking over the last several years. Right now my goal is to get in shape, get efficient and lightweight and just be able to set out and enjoy myself. Stay healthy and fit! I have plans to relocate and move west to the Rockies or west coast in 2 years once my kids are on their own. Until then I'd like to explore the East Coast while I'm here. I really want to do a trip to Newfoundland and explore there. I've been all throughout the Canadian Maritimes beforehand and something about Newfoundland calls to me.

Aside from that I'd like to explore the Catskills, Adirondacks and up in New England. While I have 4 day weekends (I work Monday-Wednesdays 12-14 hrs each day) so that allows me a chance to take a trip but extended trips are difficult still so I figure the more time I spend on the trail, backpacking even a few hours from home, the more experience I'll get, which will be a good thing.

My long term goals are to do some hikes on the Colorado Trail and parts of the PCT such as the Sierras, Cascades, etc. I'd love to go overseas to New Zealand but $$ is a definite problem on that one.

A lot depends on where I actually relocate to. I honestly don't know where I'm going to wind up, which is half the fun. ;)

ArkansasMom

I don't know if I will ever get to go to some of my dream places. Mainly because of time, money and safety. If I could, though, I'd love to backpack across India. I would also love someday to backpack through Europe. For now, I guess I'll stick with backpacking in Colorado.

briansnat

Platnium Member
At one time I had goal of thru hiking the AT. Not so much anymore. 3-5 consecutive days in the woods is plenty for me. I'd say my only goal these days is to go backcountry camping more than I have the past few years. I used to do 5 -10 trips a year. The past few years it's been one or two a year (not counting public campgrounds) and not once in 2014 (again, other than a few stays in public campgrounds, which I really don't consider camping).