• Trekking Pole

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They are the same thing

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Grandpa

I refrain from voting because I carry trekking poles but seldom use them. I like them for exposed sections of trail and river crossings, otherwise they stay on my pack.

ppine

Forester
Trekking poles are typically used as a pair. Hiking stick or staff is usually a single piece of equipment.

I like trekking poles when backpacking for balance, moving over rocks, logs, and water. For day hiking and hunting I don't bother with them.

vinovampire

Generally I use a pair of trekking poles. I prefer trekking poles to a single stick/staff for a few reasons. First, I like the hand straps that most trekking poles use, which mean you don't actually have to grip them at all, you can just let them swing on the straps. Second, I like being able to maintain three points of contact when crossing a river or on ice. Third, I appreciate the redundancy of having at least one pole if one were to break. Finally, I usually use my poles when I tarp camp as part of my setup.

During the winter, which lasts quite a while around here, I add larger snow-specific buckets to the trekking poles. Walking through deep snow and across ice seems safer with two poles.

These are my thoughts on this matter.

TDale

I use both...or either...whatever. A stick when dayhiking, poles when backpacking.

Hikin Mike

Walkin' Like a Penquin Now
When I was able to backpack, I used two trekking poles. Since I have some mobility issues now (can't bend either knees) and I got into photography again, I use my tripod.

carmen

I am sure I will make the change at some point over to a trekking pole but right now a stick is just fine for me. I keep a knee brace with me in case "righty" acts up while we are out but as long as it does not get worse (doctor words not mine) I should be okay for a few more years.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I started using trekking poles while snowshoeing and hiking in the snow. Then I kept right on using them when the snow melted. Now I actually feel sort of strange if I'm hiking without trekking poles.

I was given a beautifully carved and decorated hiking stick made by a friend. Unfortunately a single stick just doesn't cut it for hiking, so it sits next to the door as a piece of artwork.

Blazer

My trekking poles have saved my butt from falling a number of times and are probably saving my knees. I do a lot of rock scrambling and steep, rocky inclines and descents and they are invaluable. I have a lightweight, collapsible pair of Black Diamond poles that fits inside my day pack so I can put them away when I need my hands free. My heavy duty Leki poles are what I use for backpacking. There is a place strip backpack that I can stick my poles in and they collapse as well, just not as small as the Black Diamonds.

I use them for snowshoeing too. You can switch off the tip and the buckets. Very trick. Wouldn't hike without my poles.