Would you eat a snake?

ArkansasMom

No, I don't think I would or even could. I would rather try my hand at fishing up something. I'm not sure I could ever survive in a real survival environment. We watch Naked & Afraid a lot and I know I couldn't do it. I guess if I got hungry enough I wouldn't have a choice, though.

Woodland

If I was hungry enough, yes I think I would. Like you I'd try to fish for food before I would eat the snake. I haven't seen that show is it really good?

featherloosa

I probably would. Would I go out to actively hunt one to eat? Probably not. I would also definitely avoid chewing on anything that has the slightest chance of being poisonous. I don't know enough about poison cuisine to know whether there's some certain way of getting it all out, or if it burns up or what.

oldsarge

The snakes aren't poisonous, their venom is. The meat is safe to eat if handled properly.

HardyC

I have eaten snake, very regularly to be exact. Where I live my house has woods behind it and we get lots of rattlesnake. It tastes just like chicken or pheasant but not as chewy and it has a lot of little bones in it. Just skin it and put it over hot coal for about 10 minutes and enjoy!

Cappy

I am a ole Cajun country boy so I kinda figure I dont hafta answer that we seem to have the reputation for eating weird stuff but it aint weird to us. I do draw the line at worms and insects.........so far.

Grandpa

Many years ago, a refugee Cambodian family were located here. Despite an abundance of what we call good food, those kids had a heyday chasing and eating grasshoppers. It didn't take long before the local kids were right there popping grasshoppers with them.

Roybrew

One of my brothers would cook up rattle snake when given the opportunity. He liked it. I'd try it if someone else kills, cleans and cooks it.

Cappy

We make a smoked coon gumbo every year. It is an annual event much anticipated by us ole local country boys I dont make it every year but dang sure try to.

jason

fear no beer
Smoked coon. Interesting. I will admit I would try it. Then again unless it is alive and moving I would try most things. I did beef tongue a few years back and liked one of the ways I did it. Most of my family did not.

ppine

Forester
I had a prison crew once for a couple of weeks working on a noxious weed abatement project on the Truckee River years ago. Some of the members knew how to procure food. Two guys caught some bass with a hand line in the power plant cooling ponds. They found duck eggs. Then one morning a rattlesnake. The cook asked me how to prepare it. I said a hot cast iron pan in some fat. Then we served it with hot sauce. There were a couple of guys from Oakland whose eyes got real big when they saw it come out on the pan. They thought it was a joke.