Surviving a Flash Flood

mamabear

Did anyone catch the story about the rock climbers that survived a flash flood? It seems they were repelling down into a cavern of sorts when water just started gushing in from above. They took shelter under an outcropping of rock and had to wait it out. If you saw this story let me know where. I can't seem to find it again.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I recently saw a video taped by some (apparent) nut case...who was actually running ahead of a flash flood in an apparently small stream which became a raging river. There was a time or two that both he and his partner were nearly caught up in the flood.

The actual flood water was preceded by an immense jam of logs, trees and debris which was being pushed ahead of the raging water. It was an almost unbelievable scenario...and super interesting to watch...!!

ArkansasMom

That seems rather terrifying. I had a friend who went through sort of something like this. We got some bad flash floods recently and they were exploring some local caves. Luckily they made it out okay. This is partially why I'm terrified of cave exploring.

ponderosa

The best survival plan is to know the forecast, and be aware that rain many miles away can become a flash flood when water is channeled into a slot canyon. When rain is anticipated, stay out of the canyons! A guy in Zion NP died this weekend in a flashflood. It was a crazy time to be in that canyon. It happens somewhere in Utah every single year.

Grandpa

Like Ponderosa said, weather awareness. Those southern Utah canyons are deathtraps if you are not aware of the potentials. Some of those slot canyons drain tens of thousands of acres and when a large storm comes through, all that water is funneled through the canyons. In addition to the hiker death Ponderosa mentioned, another couple were stranded when their SUV dropped through the road where a bridge used to be. This happened both in the Paria canyon as well as the Virgin River narrows. These people were all lucky and survived. We hiked the Grand Gulch a few years ago. There were plenty of high places to camp but the very next week, some guy picked the wrong place to lay his head and died in his mummy bag, drowning in the mud and debris. Even on a sunny day, a thunderstorm 50 miles away can cause a flash flood where you are.