Poisonous Snakes

ArkansasMom

We are going to be hiking this fall in New Mexico. I've heard the area we are in has quite a large number of rattlesnakes. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Can anyone offer any type of advice?

Simplify

I hiked in New Mexico in 2010 and now currently live in Arizona. I had no snake encounters in NM but have had a few in AZ. I walked up on a rattlesnake in the Superstitions and didn't notice him until I was only 5 feet away. He was at a bend in the trail evidently using it as an ambush point. I simply walked in a wide arc around him 7 feet away and he didn't even move.

I encountered a baby rattler while mountain biking and again went in a wide arc around him.

Baby rattlers are the worst because they don't know how to control their venom and will release most of their venom in one bite.

As with all animal/reptile encounters, common sense is the rule. Give them a wide berth and don't encroach on their space and you should have no trouble with them.

ArkansasMom

Thanks for the information. We have copper heads here but they aren't really deadly. When I have seen them I usually try to go around. I have almost stepped on a few because of the small trails. I'm just paranoid of running into a rattlesnake.

Woodland

I would be paranoid too, ArkansasMom. We don't have poisonous snakes here so I've never really thought about it. My guess is wear hiking boots and pay close attention when you are walking, especially to any movement up ahead of you.