Camping in the winter???

Rosepetals

Has anyone here been crazy enough to go camping when there is snow on the ground? I would never go camping when there is snow on the ground, myself. I just don't see how it would be possible.

NarzaCyst

Never have done myself, something on my to do list though. Would love to hear of some experiences!

Simplify

I winter camped in the White Mountains of New Hampshire all the time. I would stamp down the snow to form a base to pitch the tent on. Before sleeping I would boil water, put it into neoprene bottles and put the bottles into the sleeping bag to slowly release their heat all night long.

Winter camping was great. No crowds, you had miles and miles of wilderness all to yourself, and at night time you experienced the incredible stillness and silence of the winter scene.

ponderosa

I used to tent camp in the winter (SE Idaho...cold and snowy) very often. Solitude, peace, stillness, beauty...it's wonderful. One of my favorite camping memories ever is of a Valentines Day weekend in Yellowstone, when the temp didn't get above 0F for the three days we were there. Nights were well below zero. We were car camping that time, so it was easy to bring plenty of warm bedding/clothing. We spent all day skiing. It was bitterly cold, but no one else was out. We watched wolves and elk and bison with no one else around. Good stuff. These days, we have little kids. It's hard to keep them warm, dry, and entertained during the extended hours of darkness, so we don't use a tent in the winter for now. We still love to ski or snowshoe to an old forest service cabin (you can rent these) or yurt for the night. It's camping with a cozy wood stove.

Pathfinder1

Hi...
I really couldn't call it winter camping, but my camp in North Country enabled me to see many sights...like the Northern Lights almost each cold winter night..cascading across the sky like a huge multi-colored curtain...beautiful...!!

It also provided me with many different inter-actions with various types of wildlife of differing sizes and inclinations...which proved to be quite interesting...!!

Loved the two and a half years I lived there...!!

vinovampire

Has anyone here been crazy enough to go camping when there is snow on the ground? I would never go camping when there is snow on the ground, myself. I just don't see how it would be possible.
Winter camping can be a unique and delightful experience. As @Simplify, @ponderosa, and @Pathfinder1 describe so well, it can be a particularly peaceful, beautiful experience.

If you already 3-season camp, then you're likely most of the way there already. You will just need a few more things.

First, a person needs the right mentality. If a person isn't excited and happy to be there, it's unlikely that they'll have a good time. Also, movement builds heat! So if a person is happy and moving and exploring, they'll be warmer. If a person gets grumpy and hunkers down, then they actually get colder. It's sort of counter intuitive.

Next, it's important to have some basic knowledge about winter camping. A really easy, fun read is Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book, Revised and Even Better!: Traveling & Camping Skills For A Winter Environment. It's a great starter book for winter camping. You can ignore the ski part at the beginning if you're not into that aspect of winter travel.

You really need to understand the different methods of keeping thing warm. Again, they can sometimes be counter intuitive. For example, some people worry about having enough space in their tent for all their big winter gear, but I find I spread out less during the winter and need less space. Anything I don't want freezing comes into my sleeping bag with me. So I put my boots and other things in a waterproof bag and keep it in my bag. The same goes for headlamps, extra cloths, etc. I sometimes sleep on top of things too, like my pack, to give myself even more distance off the ground.

Next, you need the right gear. These are some things to consider:

1) Winter sleeping bag - This is where the big expense can occur. I use a -20 degree sleeping bag, as temperatures can dip well below 0 degrees in my area, particularly at night. I got my winter bag during a 30% off sale at EMS.

2) Sleeping pads - Typically the standard sleeping pad you use during 3-season camping won't be enough. To sleep on snow you want to have at least an R-value of 5.0. Anything less and you will be loosing significant heat through to the snow/ground. The cheapest way to get enough insulation is to stack two sleeping pads on top of each other. I pair an inflatable pad (R = 4.9) with a Z Rest or RidgeRest (R = 2.6), so I have an R value of 7.5.

I think this is the biggest mistake that people make, not having enough insulation between themselves and the ground. It doesn't matter how warm your sleeping bag is rated, if you're losing heat to the ground you will get cold. Also, having a closed foam pad will give you a seat at camp or a place to stand out of the snow.

3) Shelter - Some people will use a winter tent, but it depends on the conditions. In areas that are just a bit colder, a 3-season tent cold work. Winter tents are built to shed snow a bit better and to vent from the top rather than the bottom. If a tent vents from the bottom, it could get block up with snow. They will usually have less mesh, and more fabric.

Do not seal up your tent completely. You need to make sure the tent can vent and let your moisture out, as much as possible. Find places out of the wind, but realize that the main goal of the tent is to provide shelter, not retain heat. It should retain some heat (~ 5 degrees or so), but mostly you want to block the wind and snow.

4) Heat Making Devices - You need a way to heat things up and keep them warm. I like to have one water bottle in a neoprene cozy and one thermos. You need a pot you can use to boil ice or snow (ice is better because it's more dense) to water water. Warm food and drinks will warm you up at night. I like to carry a few emergency hand and foot warmers for safety too.

There are plenty of other odds and ends you might need. If you ever decide to give it a try, talk to someone who knows what they're doing and read up on it a bunch.

Right now I have three little winter camping trips planned for this upcoming snow season. I hope it's a cold and snowy one!!!

Grandpa

0 degrees is a lot colder now than it used to be for me. Back when winter camping was just part of my normal activities, I preferred a lean-to over a tent. I also often just used a "Montana" bedroll and tromped out a snow trench and slept there. The lean-to allowed me to have a fire out front that would reflect back into the shelter. The Montana bedroll is just a heavy canvas cover over the sleeping bag, much the same as the current bivy sacks. The key to just making a trench is to make a trough leading downhill away from the sleeping bag. The same trough principle is used when making a snow cave. It allows colder air to flow away.

Since I live in a remote area with forests adjacent, I used to build a shelter, covered with a tarp, in the fall before snow fell. Then when the white stuff piled up, we would snow machine in to the area and have a nice dry snug shelter waiting, along with a nice supply of dry firewood ready to blaze away.

One winter, when the kids were small, I left a large wall tent up all winter with a frame under it. It had a nice sheepherder stove and we'd haul the kids in on snow machines and spend a night or two. A large supply of firewood, a solid wooden box to keep the vermin out and the sleeping gear in, and some old pots and pans and all we had to do was haul ourselves and the food in and we had miles of snow covered hills and forests all to ourselves.

Woodland

I have never camped in the winter, I just don't like the cold. My feet and hands have a hard time staying warm in a house so I can't imagine being outside in the cold all night. I think it's great when other people can do it but it's not for me.

Grandpa

One year, I made a little hut out of straw bales out in the orchard in the fall. When the kids all came home for Christmas, I told them to bring the grandkids sleeping bags. Told them we were going to make snow caves and sleep in them. (I had a goodly stash of extra bags and blankets already stashed.) Sure enough, about 4, 8-10 year olds were all for that. I figured it would be good paybacks for the times our teenagers kept us worrying too late into the night. So, after supper each kid trotted out his sleeping bag and we all tromped out through the snow to the orchard. The kids were delighted when they saw the hut, complete with a foot of good dry barley straw to lay on. The temp was near zero that night but it didn't keep us from telling tales late into the night.

I imagine grandma ratted on me because the mothers didn't even come out to check on us. But the rest of the plan was great and the kids still talk about it.

Simplify

When I lived in New England I would go to the ice fishing tournament on Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire every year and would camp out on the ice. I remember the year that a very loud ice heave happened in the middle of the night and woke a lot of people up. The next morning I saw that the heave was right next to my tent.

Rosepetals

I'm glad I posted that question, now. I didn't know how to make it possible, but a lot of you guys shared some very good tips, so thanks! It is something different that I hope to try one day. Just need to gather up the courage to brave the cold!

ArkansasMom

We've gone in the winter before. I've never been when it snowed but we have been when it has been really cold. It isn't that bad just got to make sure you dress and pack for it. I prefer camping in the winter instead of camping in the summer.

ppine

Forester
Of course. First car camping in the snow and then x-c backcountry trips. Now I have less cold resistance, especially with blood pressure meds. Sometimes it snows during hunting and fishing trips.

The best arrangements in the snow incorporate fire.

Blazer

I'd like to try. I just don't know if my gear is up for it but I'm seriously considering it. I've bought crampons for winter hiking and have snowshoes. I like hiking in the winter, especially in the snow. I and am thinking about expanding it to camping.

Because I ski, I have winter clothes and winter hiking boots. I have a Marmot Pinnacle 15 degree down filled bag and the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 tent along with a Therm-a-rest Pro Lite 4 pad,which is supposed to be good for all seasons (as opposed to my Neo Air XLite). I think sleeping in shelters would be a good option for winter as well. I avoid them normally due to crowds but it's much less crowded in the winter, which is why I'm wanting to try.

vinovampire

@Blazer You should give it a shot. If you already have enough warm clothing for skiing, then you're most likely in good shape for winter clothing. For example, I always bring my ski goggles and neoprene face mask when winter backpacking, just in case there's a white out or blowing snow. This kind of stuff.

The Copper Spur looks like it could work well in moderate winter conditions, since it has those high front vents and sharp peak. As you know, the big considerations with winter tents are high vents that don't get blocked with snow and a shape that sheds snow. It looks like you're got just the tent.

Although unheated backcountry cabins can be nice during the winter, some can be surprising drafty and the floors are super cold. I find camping directly on snow to be warmer. That said, it's nice to be near a cabin and they do offer you protection during big, heavy snowstorms and offer some protection from falling branches and such. If you can find a nice, tightly designed shelter, you're in business! If you ever go winter camping in VT, I can suggest a few good ones.

When looking at sleeping pads for the winter, you have to pay close attention to the R-value. You need an R-value = 5.0 to sleep on snow or in cold cabins without losing body heat. Oddly enough, the Xlite actually has an R-value = 3.2 while the ProLites are just 2.2. I would definitely suggest that you bring both or one of them and a foam pad.

We just two inches on Mt Mansfield last night, and I'm getting excited for some cold weather camping!!! :Bounce:

Blazer

My ProLite 4 is actually rated 3.2. It's an older pad but weighs twice as much as my XLite (24oz vs 12oz). My XLite is the women's version and it actually has an R rating of 3.9 so actually it would be the one to choose. I could use the ProLite 4 underneath it? Or just get a foam pad?

I would probably start with winter camping in Harrison State Park. Lots of shelters there. In fact a lot of the car camping grounds in NJ are still open until January 1 or even year 'round so I might try that as a "test run". Definitely something I'm looking into.

Problem with around here is that snow melts quickly. It rarely stays cold and snowy. It gets warm and mushy and WET pretty quickly so I might have to go up to New England to do some real winter camping. Maybe combine it with a ski trip? ;)

Simplify

Now that I am living out west I will be doing some winter camping up in Utah. The idea of seeing that scenery in winter seems very appealing.

vinovampire

My ProLite 4 is actually rated 3.2. It's an older pad but weighs twice as much as my XLite (24oz vs 12oz). My XLite is the women's version and it actually has an R rating of 3.9 so actually it would be the one to choose. I could use the ProLite 4 underneath it? Or just get a foam pad?
Oh, you have ProLite 4, nice! Combining those two pads should work great. The only reason I tend to bring one air pad and one CCF pad is that I like to stand on the foam pad at camp so I don't lose heat through my feet while standing around at camp when the temps are well below 32 degrees. It shouldn't be a factor based on the temps and wet snow you're describing.

Blazer

I got the ProLite 4 back in 2009 and went with the Neo XLite to shave off a few pounds and to take up less space in my pack. I might invest a foam pad as they don't cost much and I could attach it to the outside of the pack. I carry a 5x7 lightweight tarp that I use as a ground cloth and it's very handy to lay things down on when setting and packing up.

Definitely going to at least try winter camping. I tend to do better in the cold rather than the heat/humidity in any case. :)

Nature25

I have never been out camping during the winter time. I'm not a huge fan of the cold but I might be willing to try and winter camp at least once. I never realized how many people actually do this and all the gear that is available. This might be fun for an overnight snowshoe trip sometime in the near future!