Preferred model of Pop up?

AlwaysOutdoors

We are thinking of getting a pop up camper and I was wondering if anyone has one here what model you have and if you like it? Are there some that are better then others? And what is the best things to look for? Thanks.

wvbreamfisherman

Jayco, viking. starcraft, coleman- all pretty much the same. They have lots of common components.

If you're looking at used, pay close attention to the floor, especially around the sides and corners inside cabinets. The floor is nearly impossible to fix without an enormous amount of work. The same goes for the for the roof and sides of the cap. This is usually made of particleboard under the fiberglass or aluminum and very difficult to replace.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Just a note. Coleman trailers have gone out of business, so if you get one, parts will be hard to come by. Might be able to get a good deal on a new one, though.

alex k

the coleman name was put on them . they were made by a major manufacturer . just a ploy to charge more for the name .
follow wvbreanmfishermans advice .also if buying used check all the canvas for tears and mold spots .
good luck on the search.

Lorax

Rockwood. They are solid and hold their value very well. I had one for eight years and it performed flawlessly.
They have bigger fresh water holding tanks than most other brands.

CozInCowtown

Almost any name brand will be fine. Remember, you generally get what you pay for.
If it is cheap there is probably a reason....strike that, there is a reason.
Look at floors as mentioned, roof condition, tires and axle, rusted frame, plumbing, lights & electrical.
Everything that does not work or is worn or damaged will require repair and that cost $$$.
Sometimes it is cheaper to buy new.
DC

Birddog

I had a rock wood and the lift system gave out.i wasn't the original owner,so I sent it in twice to have it fixed at a camper sales and repair place and it was never right again.i am scared to put my money into another pop up after I bought the last one and had the bad experiences.i bought tents and have tent camped since then.i would have much preferred a pop up,just lost faith in their quality.

Mudslide

Ive had Starcraft and Fleetwood pop ups and jmo after looking at many pups, we really thought the quality on the Starcrafts were the best hands down. Dont hold me to this, but I think Starcraft went under or was bought out by Jayco a few years ago. They were sister companies anyway, so really about the same in quality either way. We are talking pop ups here though so when we say quality we aint talking the same materials they use for fifth wheels or motorhomes! These are entry level rvs....the top of the tent world, the bottom of the rv world heh heh!

Cappy

I had 2 colemans that both lasted for a very long time, the first one is still going, a friend has it and fixes it up. I was heart broken when they stopped being made. Peg and I go to out door shows a lot and see them and they all look good however for the same money ya spend for a pop up ya can get a good lite trailer that is way less trouble. We bought or lil 18 ft ultra lite camper 5 years ago and truly love it. No set up and on road trips we often just park climb in sleep cook breakfast and head out never even hooking or unhooking anything:tinysmile_fatgrin_t I sure don't miss the 100 turns it took to get the roof up, then pulling out the drawers, then bracing them up, and then and then.............

BShep

We are thinking of getting a pop up camper and I was wondering if anyone has one here what model you have and if you like it? Are there some that are better then others? And what is the best things to look for? Thanks.
I've had two Coleman pop-up's and was pleased with the quality, the last was a '97. I've since moved to a hard/insulated wall pop-up........ It's a TrailManor 2720, love it and will continue with this 'tween camper. Same low wind resistance, light weight, easy pull with capability to camp in more extreme temperature conditions.

ppine

Forester
Used with no rips is my favorite pop-up. The cable lifting systems are not that dependable. If you can find a hydraulic lifting system it is worth having.

HardyC

My favorite brand of pop-up is Palomino. They have been around for many years and are very reliable. I would say that the type of pop-up you want would depend on what you need. I look for ones that have a lot of accessories and a bathroom in them. I have kids so believe me having a bathroom in the camper is great at night time.

ppine

Forester
Rockwood now makes a line of pop-ups they call High Sides. The cabinets are higher, they tend to have bathrooms, and they are very trailer like. they are not cheap but seem like a step up from the standard pop-ups with the low cabinets and a sink that need to be flipped over.

ddbck

We had a Forest River 282XRT Freedom. It was great! Quality & durability were 2nd to none! The slide out table adds a lot of room. The off road package let you go just about any where.
this HTML class. Value is http://
this HTML class. Value is http://s651.pho