Eating The Cattail Plant for Survival.

HardyC

I was watching a survival show on the Weather Channel last weekend and found out that eating cattail plant roots can aid in survival if stranded out in the wilderness. The plant has a mild flavor and is filled with a ton of starch. I never knew this plant could be eaten.
Are there any other plants, grasses, or berries around that may not be widely known as edible?

Grandpa

Many are edible. How about stinging nettles? Yep, very edible, either as a tea or even raw. Just scrape the stingers off with a sharp knife. I'd suggest finding a good reference guide for your area.

featherloosa

The only plants I've ever eaten are honeysuckle (learned that as a kid), and dandelions. I'm sure these are known to most of the camping community though. There are a large number of edible mushrooms as well- but you'd best know what kind you're eating before you dig in. Just as many poisonous plants and fungus out there.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I've seen portions of the Weather channel's "Three Fat Guys". Thought it was semi-interesting. Host takes three 'fat' guys for a week's outing without food, water or shelter. There are some things to be learned there, though...!!!

Regarding eating cattail roots...just make sure they are more crisp than soggy. Fiddlehead ferns are another edible...especially when young and curley. How about clover blossoms and lamb's tongue. Also acorns...but they have to be ground and rinsed to help remove the bitter taste...!!

Denni2

We used to eat the cattail tubers. I would use them in stews like potatoes. You can eat the green flower heads just like corn on the cob. I think they taste a little like corn but I don't care for the texture.

ppine

Forester
Les Stroud is a big fan of cattails. I have seen him wade into waist deep water to harvest some in cold conditions, and get really wet and cold as a result. You have to eat them at the right time, generally the early spring. Otherwise they are woody and not palatable. This is the problem with native plants. You have to pay attention to their phenology or life stage of development. Humans are not ruminants and a lot of plants do us no good, no matter when they are consumed.