Camping on a State Park Campground or Not?

Nature25

I've been tent camping for a few years now and I have only camped on State Park Campgrounds because of the amenities that are included onsite. I was wondering what the advantages or disadvantages are to camping on a non-State Park Campground site?

featherloosa

Eh, I don't think there are any really big advantages or disadvantages, or at least not around here where we have plenty of both going on. State Parks have more luxuries, but they also tend to have more people, unless you go at a time where there's a lull in tourism. Other campgrounds don't tend to be as popular to tourists, which is nice when you prefer alone time, and there tend to be less restrictions overall. That's just the general things I've observed though. Hope it helps!

ppine

Forester
We don't know where you live. There is a whole world of boondock camping by road in the US. Backpacking opens all sorts or horizons. If you want to, you can camp in places and not see another person the whole time.

Charlotte

For me, the toilets are a big pro to being on a campground! Even if they can be rather nasty it is still a great thing to have. I also like that a lot of the campgrounds have grills and hook-ups for power.

ppine

Forester
Two years ago I was canoeing the Colorado River in the desert in February. Good campsites were few and far between. About the fifth day, we found a State Park on the CA side. It was closed, but we could reach it by boat and really enjoyed the sandy beach and picnic tables. There was no one there and it was free. That was the night we heard the wild donkeys, packs of coyotes and two horned owls in the trees behind camp. River otters and beavers swam by. There is a lot of be said for the off season.

Grandpa

Due to forest service cutbacks, we have found several "way back there" old campgrounds the forest service no longer maintain. They no longer show on the maps but are still somewhat serviceable with out houses, tables and firepits. Fall hunters still use them but other than that, just a few people even remember they are there. Deer and elk wander through and the fishing is usually great.

Yesterday, we, along with several thousand other people visited Antelope Island State Park reached by causeway into the Great Salt Lake. Daughter had training classes and her hubby had to work overtime so we drove down to be the babysitters. Bison and pronghorns were all over the place, usually with 100-200 cameras pointed at them. No thanks, I'll go primitive.

ppine

Forester
I love primitive camping and like Grandpa's story about the remote old USFS campgrounds. I found one recently in the Sierras. Definitely too far off the road and tight for RVs. It is almost 8,000 feet and has a short season. But the sites are private and overgown and there is a lot of wildlife.

I just got invited to go on an April trip with some RVers from my service club. We are headed to an RV park in the Gold Country. Not something we usually do, but it will be great to be out in the wine country while it is in bloom. We will use the travel trailer as a base camp to explore the local mining ruins and towns. Some Native American sites in the area too. The girl really likes the trailer so I am happy to take the whole family which includes us and 3 dogs.

Cappy

When we camp now a days we try to do as many of yall and multi task we do not hike but enjoy strolling down a path. We love to fish and try to incorporate some of that in the trip. We love out door cooking BBQing and camp fire sitting. and several other activities too many to bore ya with. For us state parks are a wonderful choice and we try to always look for them first. Most are very well maintained and in spots that offer what we like. Trails, fishing, etc. Thats what we look for. Crowds are not a problem we are mon-friday campers. Working on a boat has week days off in a row kinda perks and I can't remember going fishing or camping on a weekend unless just traveling through overnight things. Now that we are older we get good senior discounts as well. We can take our lil camper park it at one of the premier fishing lakes in the South with all the hook ups and boat ramps and cleaning stations etc for 150$ for a month. Less than what it cost to run our house.

Simplify

Typically, the best hiking and scenery are in the primitive areas. State parks and non-State park campgrounds are ok but are typically on the edge of the wilderness and to really enjoy the experience one needs to get into the backcountry.

I remember once when a friend of mine and I camped at a lake up in Maine. You could either stay at the campground or rent a canoe and paddle to remote campsites with 0 amenities several miles down the lake. We went to a remote campsite and had great fun fishing and hiking. We came back and saw people in the campground sitting around looking at smartphones and watching TV in their RV's. It was sad.