Handling Fish That Have Spines

Nature25

I am new to the freshwater fishing scene and was wondering how to handle a fish that has spines. I know that Catfish have them and they contain a poison that will sting you if handled wrong. I would like to know if there are other fish out there that will do the same thing and how they should be handled?

dinosaur

troublemaker
There's no poison in catfish spines. However, if stuck you will receive a dose of germs that can cause quite an infection. Bullhead are the worst. You handle them by slipping your fingers around the spines and then use a pair of diagonal cutters to clip the spines off. You then make a "T" shaped cut on top just behind the head through the skin, grab the skin with a pair of pliers and peel the skin off down to the tail. Then you filet.

Wehan

Catfish have very sharp bones in their top and side fins that they can literally lock in place, for small ones keep the belly to your palm and hold under and over the locked spines for a sure grip, with big ones hold like a little kid with both hands wrapped around them under the spines belly to belly (don't be afraid to give it a kiss while your there) With Northern Pike and Muskie watch out for the teeth and aggressive nature, long handled needle nose pliers do the trick for them (and a small club if keeping) I lay them down and gently kneel on them to keep from flopping and biting when removing the hook, hold them across the back of the head using the gill openings as a handle and support the weight with the other hand if your releasing them, same goes to other fish with teeth.