Overrun By Wild Turkeys

Woodland

Every year we seem to have more and more wild turkeys in our yard. They are getting bolder too, coming right up to the dog's dish and out front door. Every year there is a hunt and I would expect it to bring down the population. Either people are missing when they are shooting or they are multiplying like crazy. We had 5 a few months ago and now there are 12.

Hikenhunter

That's good to know. About ten years ago we seemed to have a turkey explosion around here, now we very rarely see any. Hunting pressure doesn't seem to be the reason as most turkey hunters around here do their hunting in the northern counties and they kept doing it that way when we were overrun with them here, but they have declined almost overnight and their seems to be no known reason for the decline.

ppine

Forester
Woodland,
where do you live?
Bird populations are very dependent on the weather and precip. Timing of the moisture affects food crops. Predation can make a big difference.

I have heard some lectures about species like chukars around here, a bird introduced from Asia. Hunting pressure has almost zero affect on their populations. It is all about the weather.

Northern Idaho has the most turkeys of any place I have visited in the West. We have had some Rio Grande turkeys introduced in the Valley. They are doing fine but the local Indians take a few when they feel like it.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

We have quite a lot of turkeys in our area. They seem to be all over the place. We have our share of turkey hunters, too...but...at least so far, hasn't cut into their population...!! A few years ago...along a long road known for seeing wildife...a turkey flying across the road hit the front of a police car and activated the air bags...!!

Beware the kamakazi turkey...!!

Cappy

Only wild turkey at my house is in a jug on the window shelf in da shed. Gonna be breaking in smokin' Sam's new smoke house tomorrow wouldn't mind hanging a few of them in it.

ppine

Forester
Last night on PBS they showed the documentary by Joe Hutto about his year raising 16 wild turkeys. Watch for it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Turkey is a wonderful bird. It was suggested by Ben Franklin to be our National Bird. Personally, I have eaten a number of them roasted over an open fire. It's an American bird. It's quick, a fast flyer, and wily. But I'm an American man with a shotgun. Yum, yum.