Cappy's Cajun Countryboy Fishing Lessons

Cappy

Well, based on things I have seen on this and several other outdoorsy forums I frequent I feel there is a REAL need for simple fishing lessons like ya dad or grand dad woulda showed ya. More and more I see folks wanting to fish or take their kids fishing and don't have a clue. Lots go to a sporting goods store and spend several hundred dollars on snoopy poles, Dora the explorer tackle boxes and a bunch of inferior unneeded gear. With this in mind I figured I'd make a few lil videos, showing fishing like I learned it. Simple country boy techniques I used as a kid I aint sure how far I'll get or how fast I can get them done and posted but I think I'll just begin at the beginning and see what happens.

Marlowe

Nice video Cappy. A lot more professional looking than you might think. :) Thanks for taking the time and effort. we're looking forward to the next installment. That's a neat tip about pulling the line to stretch it before threading the hook.

stealth

Great video! That is such a simple, yet effective way to go fishing. This is really handy when you don't have the equipment or money, but want to go fishing. It would also be fun anyways!

dinosaur

troublemaker
Good start there, Cappy! That's exactly the way we rig our limb lines and set lines up Nawth here. You gonna' show them how to use a bottle as a float?

Cappy

When we use a bottle and let the line float we call that a jug line. I may get to that in this section. but this first chapter is the simplest form where all the bottle does is hold the line for ya. The next lesson is...................

dinosaur

troublemaker
We call them jug lines too. I watched your second video, another good one. Up here we call it a compost heap. When I was a boy my Momma would see me headed for the heap with a shovel and knew she wouldn't see me again til suppertime.

basejump

Wonderful videos! This would be great for someone that doesn't know this technique. It's so simple! This is a great alternative for someone that doesn't have the money to invest in expensive fishing gear, and it is a great survival technique to learn.

Cappy

Charley, ya aint gotta be little to enjoy the simple things in life. I have a couple hand lines rigged at work on the boat and in the back of the jeep. I always have makins around the house and in the camper. Alls ya gotta do is look around where people fish and if ya aint got hooks etc they easy to find laying around. Call it surviving if ya wanna I call it having fun fishing. I am very busy this week wading through the red tape to renew my merchant marine documents this is extra trouble with the "vacation"the coast guard is on. I passed all my physicals and still have one more renewal class to take so I wont have time to make a video on catching cleaning and cooking the catfish. That will hafta wait till I get home next month, It's still way too hot now anyways. Till then here is a blog post from a while back, I offer this to show ya hand line fishing is productive and ya aint neva too old to give it a try.

Cappy & Pegody's World: The One That Got Away But Didn't

Marlowe

Thanks, Cappy, we love your videos. You might have to give up your sea job when Hollywood comes calling. :) In fact, you might get a cooking show and a fishing show. :) Seriously, keep up the good work, we look forward to the next one.

BigSur

I think this is true because we used to use anything we had to catch catfish. They will eat almost anything! I love the show, and maybe he can go mainstream on Animal Planet or something.

Grandpa

Win, Win for you and the kittens, Not sure it was so good for Mr. Whiskers though, ;-) But at least he gave his all to make Y'all happy. Not many cats around here though. Some in the Bear River but it is pretty muddy. I liked catfish when I spent some time in the midwest.