Getting Ready for Turkey day

Cappy

Took some frozen fruit outa the freezer for Peg to make pies, added some hickory chips to the bucket of water logged ones I keep on hand. Checked on charcoal supplies, and piddling on the carport. Tomorrow I will take fish and barn yard hen out of the freezer to thaw. Any one else begin to make preparations??

ppine

Forester
Cappy,
It is time to pull out some cutthroat trout and fire up the smoker. Red alder is my favorite for fish. Then I will make some cranberry salsa. After that anise flavored sweet bread for my Italian friends. I left a bottle of Wild Turkey over there at his house a month ago. We will be looking at Mt Rose and the State Wildlife Area behind his house.

Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday.

Grandpa

Entire family coming home here. Grandma is doing the Thanksgiving dinner. (Traditional turkey, ham, with all the good stuff to go along with them) All other meals have been delegated out. I have to move some snow so we have room to park everyone. Firewood racks are full but with that many people in the house, it won't take a lot of fire to keep us warm. One daughter requested 3 dutch ovens be ready for the meal she is fixing. I love it when they all come with their new recipes and ways to fix things.

Cappy

Happy for ya Grandpa we usually have a big holiday too and fry several birds while the family brings stuff. But after spending 7 weeks away from home we decided to spend the holidays just me and Peg.

ppine rest assured that I will have some red fish on the half shell on my pit. And there are always assorted jugs scattered about for sipping when needed. Not to mention several mason jars dropped off by friends

ponderosa

Tomorrow is pie-baking day. I love that day. When Thanksgiving is with my in-laws, I make everything but the turkey (bro-in-law deep fries that). But there are a lot of great cooks in my own family, so this year, I just have pie duty. Pumpkin,apple, coconut cream, lemon, chocolate, pecan, cherry, and maybe a banana cream, all from scratch. The chocolate and coconut might get morphed into one "almond joy" pie, and I haven't decided between a traditional pecan or a new recipe I found for chocolate-pecan. We kind of have a pie obsession in our tribe.

Cappy

While in NY last month we bought a basket full of fresh picked concord grapes, then sat around our lil camper and popped them and froze them for the trip home. They are on the stove now becoming the filling for an award winning grape pie. Sweet taters in the oven for one of my creations with too much brown sugar pecans and butter

ponderosa

I thought I'd baked, or at least eaten, every kind of pie in the world. But grape pie is a new one for me! Intriguing. My grandpa used to like a raisin pie...any similarity?

ppine

Forester
Ponderosa,
I am very impressed by your pie production. I have loved pie ever since living the PNW where pie shops have never gone out of style along with great coffee. Something about the climate that makes people like pie.

There used to be an old-timey pie shop in Olympia. It was about an hour from my house in North Seattle. They would have 30-40 flavors of pie on an average day. That is where I learned about sour cream raisin, tangerine gooseberry, and lots of others. Paul Zarzyski has a long wonderful poem entitled. "Pie Eating Champion of the World." I have recited it many times, a few times with a microphone.

We have cooked Thanksgiving meals many times outside on the fire. Our motto for years was "a pie a day."

Cappy

Thanks yall, I will try to post pictures of the pie process and our lil thanksgiving. Just put our big fat hen to marinating and am thawing red fish fillets out Fish always a part of my thanksgiving.