i need a new cot.

tramp

Help me pick out a new camping cot. Tell me what you use , if you use one , and why you like it or dont like it.
I was looking at the cots from cabelas ( alaskan guide, ..) then someone bryer .....the revews of cots are all over the place. One said 5 stars one said 2stars. Too much research has mess up my thinking on a dang cot. Can anyone help ?:Confused:

ppine

Forester
None are ideal. I have a heavy cot for fall hunting and fishing trips that is great but heavy.
I have a new Thermarest for canoe camping that I have not tried yet.

tramp

this would definitely be for car camping, not going to carry it very far.I guess what I'm looking for is durability I don't want something that will break after a year or two. Thanks for the reply, maybe more will chime in soon

ppine

Forester
Dino,
For a trip like hunting for a week, I find a cot to be a great help. It is comfortable, especially with a pad on it for insulation. Equipment can be stored under it. In the morning after hiking for a few days, rolling out is much easier than climbing up from the floor. I keeps you out of the dirt and mud. I sleep better.

jason

fear no beer
I have a military surplus one, solid as a rock..... Comfortable as a rock to.
My friend has one that he left at my house. During nice weather on the weekends I often pull it out and sleep outside on it. Getting to the point where I am going to have find one too.

Wehan

Dino,
For a trip like hunting for a week, I find a cot to be a great help. It is comfortable, especially with a pad on it for insulation. Equipment can be stored under it. In the morning after hiking for a few days, rolling out is much easier than climbing up from the floor. I keeps you out of the dirt and mud. I sleep better.
They can also help keep un wanted guests out of your bedding and also prevent waking up with a rattler snuggled up to you seeking heat and striking as soon as you moove.

Carl Lavigne

I have a couple of Cabela's Alaskan Guide Model cots. They normally sell for about $100, but I bought mine for about $50 apiece. They usually go on sale frequently. They're wider than the average cot and easy to setup. They're sold and heavy. Great cot.

ppine

Forester
Wehan,
Hunting is cold in the fall and the risk of reptiles is about nil. I have been camping for 60 years and the only guest I have ever had besides some insects, was a box turtle that slept next to me as a kid.

tramp

i have read lots of reviews of the alaska guide cot and thay are mostly good. only one i read said the legs broke and it was noisy but i think it is what i will buy next time it goes on sale.

tramp

Thats one review out of LOTS ive read. Most love it. There are lots of post on line to stop the noise.

tramp

got the alaskan guide cot. its BIG. some noise but i got some wax and will wax all the rails and let y'all know if that works. got it on sale for 49.00.

tramp

Hi again. More on the alaskan guide cot, the wax worked !! No more noise !! Sleeps great. I like it.