The dead carcass

Dusty

What method have you found to be the best for getting the dead carcass transported from the hunting site to your vehicle? I have seen a variety of product advertised for this purpose.

Grandpa

Pickup truck if you can, 4x4 atv if the truck can't, and a horse if the 4x4 can't. Unless you have a herd of big strong sons, son-in-laws and grandsons like I do.

Carcass removal is definately something to think about before you pull that trigger or release that arrow. I have passed on a lot of big bucks and a lot of elk because they were in a place that would have been hard to get them out. We normally avoid hunting those kind of areas but sometimes you venture into a new place and know you don't want to pack an animal out of there.

Last edited:

ponderosa

My dad and brother have spent three days packing an elk out on their backs. They usually hunt wilderness areas (no wheeled contraptions of any kind permitted), and we don't have horses...you just do what has to be done.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me carcasses are.

Hi...

Sometimes I have hunting buddies to help. One time a farmer whose land I was hunting on heard the shots and came over on his tractor to investigate. He hauled the deer up to the roadside for me.

eyebp

Senator
A shopping cart. Sometimes the bag boy even pushes it out to my car for me.

rockin

Funny eyebp - very funny! I only know people that hunt on their own land or a buddies land. They never have a problem hauling out anything they shoot. It's really not something that I ever thought about. I just figured people were smart enough to know that you have to carry it out.

selenahill21

Interesting topic! Carcass removal has been a huge issue since the advertising about removal leads to $417,000 lawsuit. However, lawsuits aren't generally aimed towards directories. The multi-million dollar market has faced regulatory and legal difficulties. In Montana, an advertising that put a barbecue restaurant below “carcass removal” has led to a suit against Dex.

Last edited by a moderator:

ppine

Forester
The best answer is two gentle pack mules with diamond hitches. Sometimes to get the truck it takes several days.

The worst answer is dragging the animal uphill in the dark through dense shrubs 6 miles from the truck.

dinosaur

troublemaker
The biggest game animals around here are Whitetail. A really big buck will go 300 pounds. Field dressing will lighten the load considerably. I carry a harness that attaches to the head of the beast and my shoulders at the other end. Then you hump it out.