Trekking Solo or In A Group Setting?

HardyC

I have gone trekking solo and in a group setting. I prefer to go solo even though I have had some close calls where a single mistake made could cause a huge problem for me. But going by myself I have seen things that I would have never been able to see if I was with a group.
I would like to know which is the preferred method of trekking?

Nature25

I like to go hiking by myself since it gives me alone time to reflect on situations in my life and allows my creative side to shine through. Plus it's more fun for me to make up the agenda and go as far as I want to without someone else wanting to go back early.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I enjoy both. Alone, it's just me and my thoughts. But sometimes when I'm alone and discover a cool place, I sort of wish I had someone to share it with.

I'd have to say between the two I enjoy hiking and backpacking with at least one other person or a small group.

Grandpa

The best treks are when you are either alone or with somebody. Yes. I like my solo time, but I also enjoy good company. I never worry about someone getting me in trouble. If I don't like it, I don't do it. Most of my hiking partners either taught me or I taught them so we come to an easy consensus.

More than once, after checking the weather, I have driven 250-300 miles, hiked 3 or 4 miles in and then smelled or felt a storm coming in. Nothing to do but turn around, hike back out and drive home again. I did that once in the Sawtooths a few years ago. I was just one mile from my planned campsite when I felt a change in the weather. I just said "dog, lets go back". And we did. By the time we got back to the car, 8 inches of partly cloudy had fallen. That storm brought the onset of winter and wasn't even forcast. Getting caught at 10,000 feet in those conditions could be ugly.

Last edited:

Cappy

Thats why you do what you do and i do what I do and we both damn lucky to still be able to do it.

God bless ya the old friend that I aint had da chance to meet yet.

Bojib

I don't like going with groups. I'm not really much of a people person. I'm usually going to get away from groups of people.

Now, I don't mind a couple people going along though. Especially if they don't feel like they have to be right on my heels the entire time. That way I can get off to myself and get lost in my own thoughts, or meditate while I walk, but also have the company of someone at break time or while camping.

Grandpa

I have two April backpacking trips planned with two different groups. One trip is with our local boy scouts in the So. Utah canyons, then later with old friends in the Grand Gulch in So. Utah. But the one I am really looking forward to, is a solo. A very long solo with no destination and no time limit. Every so often I feel the need for what I call a pilgrimage, a need for self reflection, relaxation, and beautiful scenery. I may go to church most Sundays but my true spiritual awareness comes in the mountains. Too many "howdy do's" and "Oh, by the way"s on a typical Sunday but alone in the wilderness on the banks of a wild river, my God and I can talk plain to each other without interruptions.

ppine

Forester
I used to backpack alone when I was younger. Now I do some day hikes with my dog, but prefer the company of others for overnight trips. I am very selective though and only go with certain people I trust.