survival legality

Waggy The Geek

so, I don't wanna go full self induced survival situation yet, but for practice, where(aside from my property) is it legal to harvest plants for personal use?

Grandpa

There is no definitive answer. Private land with permission excluding protected species for a start. Even Federal lands have different rules for different areas.

Grandpa

Waggy, welcome to the OBC forums. Did I see in your other post you are in the northwest? Google "your state" endangered plants to find out which plants are supposedly protected. Most other restrictions occur in "delicate" soil areas like the southwest deserts. Check the website "Darcy from the forest" for good information. Darcy Williamson writes excellent reference books for Rocky Mountain and Pacific North West wild edibles and medicinals. She also has on site classes at her ranch near McCall, Idaho. I am sure there are other good sources as well but I have several of Darcy's books and find them informative.

Waggy The Geek

wow, thanks grandpa! You rock, man.
Waggy, welcome to the OBC forums. Did I see in your other post you are in the northwest? Google "your state" endangered plants to find out which plants are supposedly protected. Most other restrictions occur in "delicate" soil areas like the southwest deserts. Check the website "Darcy from the forest" for good information. Darcy Williamson writes excellent reference books for Rocky Mountain and Pacific North West wild edibles and medicinals. She also has on site classes at her ranch near McCall, Idaho. I am sure there are other good sources as well but I have several of Darcy's books and find them informative.

dinosaur

troublemaker
What kind of plants did you have in mind? I live in the Midwest and we have a large variety of edible plants and some medicinal. We also have a lot of wild Cannabis Sativa which is considered medicinal in some states. I'm not a big fan but the little flowers are kind of pretty.

ppine

Forester
There are definite restrictions on T&E plants, and those in parks. For public lands you need a permit and permission for commercial harvest. For small amounts for personal use it is doubtful anyone from an agency would mind.