Basic Safety Tips

jason

fear no beer
Bike:

1. Make sure your bike is in good condition. Do a pre-trip. Check your tires, air pressure, wheels, spokes, cables, lights and most importantly brakes. I also check my frame once a month for cracks.
  2. Kevlar tires & slime tubes are great to keep from going flat on a trip.
  3. Plan your ride. Take less traffic streets if you have to go on the road. A bike plan path left with someone is also good if something goes wrong
Visibility:

1. Be Seen. Bright clothing, lights and reflectors.
  2. Try using a turn signal. They make a tail, turn signal and brake light combo you can buy for the rear of your bike. Many people do not know hand gestures (other then the number one sign) and what they meat in traffic.
Personal Gear:

1. Helmet. I know most people hate them, but they work. Wear it. Spend the extra money to get a comfortable one you will actually wear.
  2. Riding Gloves. I find I get a better grip with riding gloves, not to mention that it helps when you crash. Nothing worse then having your hands all scraped up.
Obey the law!

1. Ride with traffic. Bicycles are, legally, to ride on the right side of the road, with traffic, not against traffic.
  2. Signal for turns and always STOP at stop signs and red lights.
  3. Remember pedestrians have the right of way over a bicyclist.
A good website for learning how to ride safely. Bicycle Safety: How to Not Get Hit by Cars

Feel free to post your own ideas for riding safe.

jason

fear no beer
On tours that will have you cycling rural areas carry a pepper spray to counter dogs
I started carrying that too. Although I was given a spray made for dogs. Not sure of the difference to be honest. But I'm hoping I never have to use it.

Bambi

All good points to remember, especially checking tire pressure regularly. I'm always amazed at how much air my tires lose. Also good to keep a portable pump with you for long trips.

Sarah

I have never used the slime tubes. We've gone mountain biking before and I would like to know the effect the slime tubes have on rotation speed. Is it a lot harder to pedal with the slime tubes?

IHeartDirt

I wish I could put up billboards, signs or use a megaphone....anything to let riders know that they too are traffic, a moving vehicle and that they need to travel in the direction of traffic as well. It irks me to no end when I see cyclists on the wrong side of the road. Okay, I've said my piece. I feel better now.

Stargazer

I always feel safer cycling with a partner, especially if I am traveling a great distance. I enjoy traveling with a local cycling club. When we go on longer tours, a day or more, we have a van that travels with us. The van carries anything we might need for an emergency from first aid supplies to equipment for bike repairs.

ppine

Forester
Put the axe away when people start drinking. Be careful with fire. Wear a lifejacket. Wear a seatbelt, and watch where you point the muzzle. If you insist on hunting with a round in the chamber, I insist on hunting alone.