Campers Behaving Badly

briansnat

Platnium Member
One big reason for me going from car camping to backpacking and primitive kayak camping is to get away from crowded campgrounds.
No guarantees there either. Last summer I was canoe camping in the Round Lake Wilderness in the Adirondacks. The first few days were nice, then we saw two canoes approaching. It appeared to be a mom, dad and 3 kids who appeared range from about 8 to about 14 yo. They grabbed one of the designated sites just across the cove from us. We figured it's a family, no big deal. But apparently dad thought it was funny to howl like a wolf. Not once or twice, but every couple of minuts all freakin' night long. He finally shut up about midnight when he apparently went to sleep.The next morning I'm out on the lake at sunrise fishing and it is quiet and the water is as smooth as glass. I see dad get in his canoe and paddle to a spot about 100 yards from me and start fishing, Good, he's finally quieted down.

Until he sees his family stirring in their campsite, again with the wolf howls. He paddles back and howls throughout breakfast. Finally about 10 am we see them loading the canoes. Thankfully it was only one night we had to deal with it. We gave each other high fives as they paddled away. We could still hear dad howling periodically as disappeared into the distance.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I used to have a pet wolf. I remember going out and sitting in my driveway with him, having a couple beers and baying at the moon. It was good.

Wehan

No guarantees there either. Last summer I was canoe camping in the Round Lake Wilderness in the Adirondacks. The first few days were nice, then we saw two canoes approaching. It appeared to be a mom, dad and 3 kids who appeared range from about 8 to about 14 yo. They grabbed one of the designated sites just across the cove from us. We figured it's a family, no big deal. But apparently dad thought it was funny to howl like a wolf. Not once or twice, but every couple of minuts all freakin' night long. He finally shut up about midnight when he apparently went to sleep.The next morning I'm out on the lake at sunrise fishing and it is quiet and the water is as smooth as glass. I see dad get in his canoe and paddle to a spot about 100 yards from me and start fishing, Good, he's finally quieted down.

Until he sees his family stirring in their campsite, again with the wolf howls. He paddles back and howls throughout breakfast. Finally about 10 am we see them loading the canoes. Thankfully it was only one night we had to deal with it. We gave each other high fives as they paddled away. We could still hear dad howling periodically as disappeared into the distance.
Are we sure it was dad and not a 4th child with some sort of mental disorder?

ppine

Forester
I did some work for a lady that had a 7/8 wolf dog. She roamed the rural mountain property where we were working. She would come by sometimes, but I never made eye contact with her and she would just keep going. After a few weeks, I got invited to the big adobe house for dinner. Later we went up on the roof and howled at the moon with Jezabelle. It was really fun. I never tried to pet her, but she was really interesting to have around.

Wehan

Didn't happen to me but a friend of mine was camping at a state run site here in Mi. I guess the guys across the cul-de-sac type area were drunk and loud setting off fire crackers and whatnot, what really drew the line and prompted a call to the police was when they put an empty 1lb propane tank in the fire, when it blew it made its way through my friends campsite narrowly missing his leg and tent.

CamperinSeattle

My common issue with other campers is noise and that noise increases as their alcohol consumption increase. This is why I know use earplugs when I go camping. I've also made an effort to find more private and dispersed campsites.

Pathfinder1

My common issue with other campers is noise and that noise increases as their alcohol consumption increase. This is why I know use earplugs when I go camping. I've also made an effort to find more private and dispersed campsites.

Hi...!!
I agree all the way through...except the ear plugs...without ear plugs I can hear what's going outside better (unless it's THAT noisy)...!!

ppine

Forester
If people are blowing up stuff you need to move. If you need ear plugs you need to move.
Last year I was in a popular summer campground to fish. Few people actually had boats so the water was fine. There were camps with two coleman lanterns all night and kids with laser beams shining in the trees. Now I avoid popular places except in the spring and fall.