Observations on Modern Backpacking

Grandpa

Things change over time. More people, lighter gear, and bodies. I'm always looking to lighten the load, but ............
* 15 years ago I had to add a self inflating pad. Old body just didn't like the hard ground any more. And even that has given way to a lighter air core during the summer months.
* Freeze dried food has come a long way the past 20 years, but, after so much I had to go back to adding some good stuff too.
* Used to just heat up the old coffee pot or enamel cup with a small fire. Now, with all the human traffic, wood is scarce, fire restrictions in a lot of places and lack of energy after a long trek to camp make some form of stove a near necessity. I'll sacrifice the economy of alcohol and white gas and stick with the canister stove.
* Forty years ago, nature calls could be dealt with behind any old bush, but with all the human traffic, nasty pathogens, and nosy critters, a spade is now a necessity. More weight but a necessity.
* For many years, a small tarp configured to a lean to was more than adequate, but with more ladies enjoying the wilderness modesty dictated a tent and swim trunks had to be added. (Was enjoying a much needed hot bath in a back country hot springs many miles from the nearest road when five lovely co-eds came up the trail. They promised not to look while I got dressed and I promised not to peek while they changed and we all left friendly, but I keep thinking how enjoyable if I had a swim suit and could have stayed and shared that pool,)
* I never used to give waterborn pathogens a thought living in the mountains but again, with increased human activity, stronger resistant pathogens and me with a weakened old mans immune system, I now have to carry the means to filter/purify which also means I have to carry more containers. Again, more weight.

With all this high tech equipment and extra knowledge, is it any wonder my weeklong pack weight has gone from 20 lbs to 35 lbs? Oh well, I've been training some strapping grand sons so its off to pack deep into the Frank Church next week, no matter what the pack weighs.

ppine

Forester
This past Sunday I was hiking up by Carson Pass on the PCT at 9,000 feet in a giant flower garden. This is the time of year when the through hikers are on that part of the trail. I met a nice young couple from WA. I asked them where they were headed. "Canada" the lady replied. They were very cheerful and happy out there and dialed into their surroundings. They were traveling 25 miles a day. That put things in perspective. When you have over a thousand miles to go, mileage becomes very important. It is a point of view I have never understood when it comes to short trips. Now I get it.

ppine

Forester
Freeze-dried food is bad enough when it is hot.
The reason you don't see air mattresses much anymore is they are cold and provide no insulation. They also puncture much easier than foam filled inflatable mattresses.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
The reason you don't see air mattresses much anymore is they are cold and provide no insulation. They also puncture much easier than foam filled inflatable mattresses.
Actually they have come back big time and they are insulated now. I've been using an Exped Synmat DLX 9 air mattress for six years now and they have have many other versions too, other manufacturers too. They use various insulation. Mine is synthetic with an R value of 6 so it is very insulative. They also use down insulation in some. The mattress is 3.5" thick and feels like I'm floating on a cloud if I don't over inflate it.

It has gotten one puncture in all that time, girlfriend has not gotten any with the same model mattress. It was a slow leak so I'd pump it up and get about half the night before it went all the way down. I finally found it at home after laying it out, pumping it up and spraying it with soapy water. I patched it and it has been fine ever since.

One thing that has changed quite a bit with modern backpacking is the way we cook. I started cooling over wood fires and did so for many years. There were a few stoves available but nothing like today where you can not only pick liquid gas but now compressed gas and I have a couple of each kind... and alcohol. 99% of the time these days when I want to light a fire on the trail, or off trail it will be alcohol. I've used the little alcohol stove in this image over 1000 times and that is exactly how they look after that much use, not bad at all. It is one of those thick, strong Whitebox stoves made by a fellow up in Montana. It is fast and efficient and weighs one ounce. The fuel is very inexpensive.

Grandpa

My old 2 1/2 inch BA Insulated air core has an r value of 4.1, my 2 inch T-rest trail comfort 4.5. The air core has served me well for several years now although I switch to the T-rest during the R months and switch again to a 2 1/2 T rest camp comfort when I tailgate camp. The new materials are nothing like the old air mattresses.

Simplify

I had a foam filled air mattress previously and it just didn't do the trick for me. I would toss and turn all night and that would hurt the next days hiking. I sleep much better with an air mattress.

Bojib

I went my whole life and didn't realize until just a few years ago that so many people used air mattresses and foam pads to sleep on. I've always had the advantage of being able to sleep almost anywhere on almost any surface. I thought when backpacking you just toughed it out and slept on the ground.

I still can't sleep on the single size air mattresses/foam pads very well. I move around too much in my sleep. I do like the queen size mattress my wife made me buy for campground camping though, except for when one person roles over they have to be careful not bounce the other off.

dinosaur

troublemaker
It's nice to run into folks who are just moving along in a path. Leave them be. I've been there. I enjoyed it. I would never expect others to understand it but it has a lot to do with freedom. We used to have freedom. We don't anymore. We yell about it and shoot off fireworks on the 4th of July but it is a shadow of what it once was.

There's enough of it left so I can go to my grave without complaining too much. What will be left is the dregs of something that used to be.

My words of wisdom: Hate no one. Let everyone live the way they wish. Do not allow them to force their way of thought upon you. Let everything be.

Unless it includes killing you and everyone like you. In that case, Nuke them until they glow in the dark.

ppine

Forester
Dino,
Were you drinking when you wrote that post above? What do you mean we don't have freedom? That is why we go in the mountains and run the rivers, freedom.

ppine

Forester
Build a fire. There is no reason to eat cold food.
an air mattress is a good way to freeze to death in the fall.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Dino,
Were you drinking when you wrote that post above? What do you mean we don't have freedom? That is why we go in the mountains and run the rivers, freedom.
No, my friend, I cannot drink and type at the same time since I refuse to use a straw (sissy stick). And, I am not going to get into a discussion on how our freedoms are being systematically regulated and usurped by an invasive government since this is a political issue and largely a waste of time.

ppine

Forester
I am back in the gym getting ready for the Three Sisters trip to Oregon. I am finding the stair climber and leg press machine to be really helpful. Sometimes we think we are getting old, when really we are not exercising enough.