Hot weather techniques

Simplify

One technique I have used that can produce strikes in hot weather is twitching. During the heat of the day cast a floating crankbait into a shaded spot and, instead of a straight retrieve, just twitch the pole every 10 seconds or so in the shade. This will imitate a wounded bait fish and will stay in the fish's strike zone longer, which is usually necessary as fish's metabolism drops during the heat.

Also, waiting until sundown is a good time to use this technique when fish will become more active.

Cappy

In the heat of the day, thats when I drag out the time tested good ole purple worm and fish a slow retrieve from the bank letting the bait fall off to the deeper water with a slow retrieve.

Simplify

Has anyone ever had any success with the dead-sticking technique, letting a soft plastic lie on the bottom and twitching it once or twice a mintute?

Cappy

Thats what I was talking about with the ole tried and true purple worm rig it with a slip sinker cast and twitch it in short upwards jerks reel in slack and wait like 15 to 20 seconds and repeat.

Cappy

A typical south Louisiana summer fishing day. Boat in the water for daylight. Fly fisn the banks with top water popper for bass and anything big enough to take the popper. Around 9 am rig fly rod up to cork fish for crappie. Fish tree tops and brush piles and such till around 11 am. Drag out a casting rod and fish bottom till 4 pm. Slow retrieve twitches. Around 4 pm take the popping bug off ya hat and retie it to the fly rod. Pop it slow against teh bank in deep shade. ya can fish till 8:30 pm if ya can hang. Leave the fish on ice plan on cleaning them the next day unless ya have good outside light.

briansnat

Platnium Member
In hot weather I concentrate on docks and lily pads, where the bass and pickerel will go to find shade. If that doesn't work, then I go a bit deeper and use a dropshot, Carolina rigged plastic, jig or deep diving crankbait in 15-20 feet of water.

ppine

Forester
For cold water fish like trout, we go deep in hot weather. They hang in the layers in lakes with the right temperature (53-58 degrees) and high dissolved oxygen. In August that can be 25- 70 feet or more.