Do you think you would be able to survive on your own?

Pathfinder1

Hi...!!
I only started watching portions of it when there were only four guys left...It appeard that they all had certain items of gear to chose from, right...?? All seemed to have knives and axes...some had tarps and/or cook pots, for examples...any other gear that they had besides the gill net...??

Cappy

The errrrr.... contestants were allowed to take along 10 things of their choosing. It's a fun mental exercise figuring what you would take. Interesting to see what some of them took. Makes for good bull shit sessions. For example some brought fire steal and assorted strikers. I would bring a bic lighter. It would last for a year or so more if ya careful fire tender, and sparks long after its outa gass. Ya know its not gonna be that long its a seasonal show.:)

ppine

Forester
Alone was a good program. We saw a glimpse of how grossly over confident many outdoor people really are. I can sum up the ten contestants this way.

The first four were scared to death and left with haste. They were gone in a couple of days.
The next two overcame their fear but lacked mental toughness. They lasted about a week.
The last four overcame their fear and had plenty of mental toughness, lasting well over a month.

The last two were there for around 55 days or more and belong to an elite group we can all learn from.

The last guy was really something and I hope he writes a book.

In the end it was not about equipment selection, or even skill past the basics. It is a mental game. It is about mental toughness and tenacity in the face of boredom, loneliness, bad weather and a lack of food and comfort.

oldsarge

The guy from Georgia who won has one of the best attitudes I've seen. I know there's a lot of folks who criticize these (survival) types of shows. But there is something that can be taken from them all...both good and bad.