Heater while camping

FSR

I have used the tent safe heaters but they are not my first choice. I use a canvas tent or my Big horn 2 with wood stoves from four dog stove. never been cold in the worst Michigan weather.

Simplify

I boil water before going to sleep, pour it into a nalgene bottle and put the bottle into the sleeping bag.

ppine

Forester
I have camped for 10 days at 10,900 feet in Colorado packing elk hunters. It was below zero most nights. A wood stove allows you to dry out and get warm after being out in the snow all day. It dries out the bedding. There is nothing like radiant heat. I like it so much I heat my house with it.

rtavious

I use mr heater . In 6 person tent. Usually only 2 occupants and works great. Coldest temps its been used in were upper 30s low 40s

MacGyver

Mr. Heaters are safe but don't throw much heat.
Can't say I agree with that. Last Winter I was in my 10 x 10 Kodiak with my Big Buddy heater with the windows open more than enough to allow proper ventilation. 9°F outside, 72° inside. I slept in my shorts and a T-shirt under a thin blanket.

ppine

Forester
On hunting trips in Nevada it is typically in the teens in the morning. We are trying to get moving so usually do not build a fire in the stove. I have turned on the Little Buddy heater plenty of times, but it is mostly for psychological benefit. Maybe it takes a Big Buddy, or 2 Little Buddies.

MacGyver

I have turned on the Little Buddy heater plenty of times, but it is mostly for psychological benefit. Maybe it takes a Big Buddy, or 2 Little Buddies.
Unless you have a huge tent, I would go with one Big Buddy heater. Both the Little Buddy and Big Buddy heaters require a lot of clearance in front of them to avoid catching things (like especially people?) on fire. Trying to position two heaters safely could be tricky.

ppine

Forester
How long does it take for the things to work?
I do not like to rely on fuel I have to buy, canisters to get rid of and transportation costs.
Wood in a stove is free and I never run out.

MacGyver

How long does it take for the things to work?
They start heating the tent almost immediately. I thought about putting a wood stove in my Kodiak but decided against it for a few reasons. First of all, the tent really isn't big enough for all but the smallest stove and they require too much tending to feed the fire. That also leads to temperature drops if I'm late to add wood. (HATE waking up cold!) Second, I didn't like the idea of cutting in the stovejack. If I decided the stove needed to be in another location, I'd be SOL. And lastly, Kodiaks are built to flex in the wind. Not exactly a happy thought with a stovepipe getting bucked around in a storm.

For me, propane was just too easy and available in enough places to make it a no-brainer. Since I rarely have the heat on high, keeping it on low (if not off) during the day and medium at night, I get 3, sometimes 4 days worth from a 20 lb. can. If we're on a particularly cold Winter trip where I'm running it on medium most of the time, I'll bring two 20s with me and swap tanks mid trip just to make sure I don't run a tank out.

Last edited:

Cappy

Much more likely to see this where I live than a heater.:beer3:AC tent.jpg
Some folks put a bucket under it catch the condensation for dish water. Remember the elec is included at camp sites.

MacGyver

I'd either need about 10 solar panels and 20 deep cycles or a 30 mile extension cord to do this where I camp.

kbbgood

How about Catayticheaters, are they safe in modern tents. Mine has a rain fly on it so it should vent.