Unusual Rides

Stargazer

I was just wondering what the most unusual ride is you have ever taken. Have your ridden an unusual animal like an elephant, camel or ostrich? Have ridden to an unusual destination?

campclose

Nope! I have never had an unusual ride I guess. I have never rode on anything but a horse (animals). I have had some fun rides. Every ATV ride is fun for me. I have had some treacherous rides (bike rides).

mamabear

Nope. No strange animals here. However, the ride I will remember the most is Space Mountain in Disney World. OMGosh was I scared. That was when I was younger. I don't think I'd try it today.

ppine

Forester
I have ridden camels twice at fairs and was surprised at the smooth gait. It is a long way to fall if you come off.

I have ridden some gaited horses that do not feel normal. I rode a draft mule once that was gentle but not broke to ride. You could ride him anywhere he wanted to go.

Saddle donkeys are great fun to ride.
I rode my black mule Ben up to a bar once and ordered a beer.
I like The tram up the San Jacinto Mtns in Palm Springs.
Helicopters in Alaska are a thrill a minute especially in heavy rain storms.
Float planes feel like the fastest boats around.
I rode a pack saddle on a mule once while elk hunting in Colorado.
The White Pass and Yukon RR from Skagway, AK to Bennet Lake, BC
Small commercial flights from Denver over the Rockies on warm summer afternoons in lightning storms on Rocky Mountain "Scareways". The cabins were not pressurized. Oxygen was suggested over 10,000 feet. Few people used it. I watched the pilots, when they used it, I used it. Everyone was asleep within minutes.

Last edited:

cabinfever

I've never ridden other animals besides horses. I'd have to say my most unusual (and most fun) ride was back when I was just a kid. It was my first time bareback, on my friend's horse, and he decided to race the St. Bernard my friend also owned. All in all, it's one of my fondest childhood memories.

Grandpa

Rode a bull a couple of times, but never for 8 seconds.:tinysmile_cry_t4: Decided the bull was going to win most of the time so I had better stick to riding the steers.:yield:

The Durango/Silverton narrow guage railroad was a neat ride. At times you could hang out the window or over the side of the gondola and look straight down into the Animas river 200 yards STRAIGHT down.

They were giving elephant rides at Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City one time. My girls got to ride but the spoil sports wouldn't let me. :tinysmile_angry2_t:Said it was just for kids. I tried throwing a tantrum but they just laughed and let the next bunch of rugrats go ahead.

If you are ever in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, the tram ride at Teton Village is by far the best tram I have ever ridden and I've been on quite a few. 12 minutes and 4100 feet of vertical :tinysmile_tongue_t:sure makes the ears pop. And the view at the top is just simply amazing. The Snake Range to the west in Idaho, the Teton range you are standing on, the Gros Ventres to the east and the Salt Range to the south.

Some folks down the road a few miles were raising some ostriches. They had a day when they were letting the boy scouts ride, but again, I got excluded. They didn't say it was because I was too fat,:tinysmile_twink_t2: but then they were nice people.

oldsarge

Did this a lot, "vertical extraction". Pilots with a great sense of humor would often dunk us in the open ocean, they called it trolling for sharks.

dinosaur

troublemaker
As a child I rode a Newfie and a goat. When I got too big for them, I rode a boar hog who oddly didn't seem to mind and I've ridden steers. I almost got on an emu once but the guy that was on him got bit and dragged off by the ornery critter so we had a barbeque instead.

I rode a tiger once outside of a place called Castle Greyskull but I never went back because the guy who lived there was a tall half dressed blonde who carried a big sword and was always bragging about how much power he had. He bored the hell out of me so I left.

ppine

Forester
Grandpa,
I am glad you grew brains and quit the bulls. I have several friends that are ex-roughstock riders. I like the old song lyric, "I used to be an ex-bronc rider."

We have ostrich races and camel races at Virginia City each fall.

An elephant must be the ultimate ride.

Dirt bikes and ATVs in really rough country are an adventure. I used them for wildlife surveys. We came off them pretty often. Sometimes went over backwards. Sometimes they fall on you.

Last edited:

Cappy

I've ridden out several hurricanes in a tug boat and some of them were wild rides indeed. Kinda like a bucking horse or jerky roller coaster that don't stop for as much as 2 days.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

A winter bush flight through a storm, from the Arctic to Fairbanks. Cappy's "bucking bronco" pretty much describes that scenario, too. Bouncing around the cockpit like a ping pong ball, even though our lap belts were tightened up again after each buffeting.

Fortunately, that little plane must have been constructed very well. Am still amazed at how well it held together.

Worst flying experience I ever had.

Shirley4ever

I had a pony ride.. The staff were very knowledgeable and friendly. Made the experience much more fun and relaxed. One hour is just long enough, especially if you have never ridden before.

MacGyver

I think I'm the only person to have ever ridden a pistol case on a gravel road. Years ago, in the oh-so-young-and-dumb era, I actually fell out of the back of a jeep but somehow managed to grab both a pistol case and the bumper of the jeep. I'm still camping with the same guys thirty some years later and they still bring that craziness up.

ppine

Forester
The most unusual ride was a boat ride to Isla del Sol on Lake Titicaca, Boliva with an Aymara Indian named Juan. We both spoke Spanish as a second language over the noise of an outboard motor. We were in the fog and rain and it felt like we were the only two people on Earth. We went to the spring that the Inca believe is the origin of the World.