Another Sad Day

Grandpa

It was with great sadness that we buried another of our most faithful family members. For fifteen years he gave all our grand children and great grandson happiness and joy. He would get so excited whenever he heard a car pull in the driveway. Despite stories to the contrary, he loved their hugs, kisses and never ever raised his voice in anger. All who have backpacked with him loved him and considered him a friend. He never chased a wild animal, never showed any animosity to any one or any thing. He did, however, always move to the edge of the campsite and stand guard if any of those pesky wild animals such as deer dared come too close. He would never give chase or even bark unless they transgressed into the camp proper. Deer have passed within a few feet of him and he just sat and watched. We have come across newborn fawns and he would backstep so as not to frighten them. He would even share his supper with the Clark's Nutcrackers that came to steal his food.
If I called "trail" he would move off the trail (to the downhill side) and sit and wait for horses, dogs, kids, are whatever to pass buy. A family could ask for no better member than Tank.
Rest in Peace Tank,
March 2001-June 13, 2015
He never met a kid he didn't like
He never hiked a trail that was too long
But he was the worse black lab hunting dog I ever had. He just wanted to love everything and every body, including the little cottontail rabbits hiding in the woodpile.

Cappy

I read this with tears in my eyes. Over the years I feel I have come to know tank and appreciate him through your posts. I know well the pain of loosing that one special dog and firmly believe we will see them again.

ppine

Forester
The only bad thing about dogs is that they don't live long enough. It is one of the reasons I have three of them of different ages. Then if I lose one, I still have two faithful companions. The only solution for losing Tank, might be to go find another Lab. Life is too short, not to share it with dogs.

oldsarge

My condolences. The fact that Tank was such a great dog is a direct reflection of his owners. I agree with ppine, I'd get another dog and continue receiving the joy you deserve. Not to mention the joy you all will be bringing to new grateful pet.

jason

fear no beer
That is very sad to hear. Dogs can really become part of the family that some cannot understand. You and yours have my condolences.

Cappy

I lost my doggie buddy over 2 years ago with Tank still on my mind when I mowed the area Sparky now rest I had tears in my eyes. He got the name Sparky when he was pup and was chewing an extension cord. This is a very small example of who he was.
It took a year to decide to try to amke a new friend so we got Beaux. He was a rescue puppy who came to us with the name Bo so we cajunized.

This is Beaux helping me with some yard work. He has a long way to go but is learning fast. He now knows not to jump out of the jeep window. just like Sparky he learned that one the hard way. he is now learning to wear shoes so he dont burn his feet o the boat deck. I need to remember to video that.

ppine

Forester
I was out hiking the Pacific Crest Trail yesterday with Ruby Begonia. She is the perfect hiking companion. Her new trick is find some big branches, break them up and bring a really good stick with her along the trail. I throw the sticks once in awhile, but she likes to carry them for miles. Having a dog is more than having a pet, is it a way of looking at the world.

ppine

Forester
People debate on forums all the time about whether to bring their dogs on camping trips. Taking my dogs camping is one of the most fun things I can do. If your dog is "not good with other dogs" or "isn't used to riding in a car", you have some work to do. Get them used to all of that stuff and get out there. Dogs like a change of scene. They get bored eating the same food and never leaving the yard for months at a time. Use your dog as a reason to get out and do something.

Cappy

In the process of getting Beaux our lil rescue dog used to his shoes. He needs tehm so he dont burn his tootsies on the aluminum deck of the boat. Very needed here I have burned red spots on the back of my legs sitting on a boat seat with out checking first or splashing some bayou water on it. In the mean time its entertaining seeing him get used to them.

ppine

Forester
My dog now carriers booties in her pack. She doesn't like them much, but will tolerate them if there is a reason to. Once at a friends mine site I had a dog wear off all her pads in a couple of days. It was a disaster. I never want that to happen again. The metamorphic rock was very had and eroded into 40 grit sandpaper.

Grandpa

Tank carried a set for those granite sharded trails we came across. He would see that scree and wait for me to put them on but he wanted them off as soon as we got back to dirt.

Northern Dancer

...I can emphasize with you - I lost my black Lab Reese last November. I've tried two dogs since and though they were wonderful I just couldn't make the transition. Reese was on every camp/canoe trip in every kind of weather and in every kind of situation. He carried his own pack but never learned how to canoe. In everything else he was perfect; better than any companion that I've ever had.

Hikenhunter

...I can emphasize with you - I lost my black Lab Reese last November. I've tried two dogs since and though they were wonderful I just couldn't make the transition. Reese was on every camp/canoe trip in every kind of weather and in every kind of situation. He carried his own pack but never learned how to canoe. In everything else he was perfect; better than any companion that I've ever had.
I know the feeling but one thing I've learned over the years and the many dogs I've partnerd up with is that you can not compare one to another. Each is unique in his/her own way so when you start with a new dog you gotta make sure you do not expect him to be like any other before. Time and patience are all you need. The moments you share and the memories you keep are all worth it. I know this is late in coming grandpa but my condolences to you.

Northern Dancer

I know the feeling but one thing I've learned over the years and the many dogs I've partnerd up with is that you can not compare one to another. Each is unique in his/her own way so when you start with a new dog you gotta make sure you do not expect him to be like any other before. Time and patience are all you need. The moments you share and the memories you keep are all worth it. I know this is late in coming grandpa but my condolences to you.
------------------------------- > :(
...you are right of course and every vet will tell you the same. I'm workin on it - thanks for the sound advice.