Bugs

derangedboar

For anyone who camps in the open air, or maybe even in a tent, how do you keep bugs off you? It seems like no matter what, tent or not, mosquito's will get ya. When I bring the tent I keep it sealed. I know there will always be some critters, but it seems like a lot more then normal.

Cappy

DEET it works is very safe and has saved millions from mosquito born illness. Before ya freek about it research it it has gotten a bad wrap of late but is so far the best answer.

Cappy

Citronella doesn't work here smokey fire does and has beeen used for hundreds of years but the smoke is smelly and stings ya eyes. Does work well and after a few days sitting in the smoke ya Cary the smell with ya. I fine that rosemary works pretty good and it grows in da yard grab a hand full rub it on ya and it helps but I'd rather smell like smoke than rosemary. The neighbor swears by those new battery\propane mosquito things but they are expensive ya gotta buy the stuff the batteries and the miniature propane bottles. Deet is still my best choice till something better comes along.

ppine

Forester
Now there are products you can put in a bag with your clothes.
For the mountains long sleeves, long pants and a head net.
I sleep under a tarp for backpacking and just get in my bag with a headnet. It helps to wear a ball cap underneath to keep the net off the face.

Some people are sensitive to insects. Learn to ignore them more. Spending time in a place like Minnesota or Alaska is a way to gain some perspective about what constitutes "a lot of insects."

Bojib

Has anyone ever tried the insect repellent with Permethrin in it?

I've seen it in the hunting section of some stores. Apparently you spray it on your clothes and let it dry. Then it keeps the insects at bay. I believe it's even advertised as being able to survive a couple of cycles through the washing machine.

oldsarge

I've seen it in the hunting section of some stores. Apparently you spray it on your clothes and let it dry. Then it keeps the insects at bay. I believe it's even advertised as being able to survive a couple of cycles through the washing machine.

I've used it and it worked great. We soaked our clothing the night prior to going out. The next day after hiking around I found several dead ticks on my clothing. All who used it, also had the same experience. A few people found dead ticks under their garments. So I guess it doesn't take much to kill a tick with this stuff. As far as multiple washing's go, I couldn't say as, were only out for that one day.

Deet works good and you're correct, it's hard on plastics and paint. I know of some who used DEET while using a touch screen GPS. It made the screen hazy and didn't clean up very well. The rubber around the GPS body was sticky and smeared around.

Grandpa

Permethrin does work well and does last about two washings. One can will saturate one set of clothes well but two sets can be sprayed if you go lighter. Make sure it has thoroughly dried before wearing the clothes. Deet works the best but the carrier for the deet is critical. I sweat most repellants off in a short time. Sawyers and Uncle Ben's seem to be good brands but I still have the best luck with OFF's deep woods little clear puffer bottles with the blue cap. The "thermacell's" really work well sitting around but aren't very effective walking. They create about a 15 foot "safe" circle but as Cappy said, very expensive (relative to other methods) to keep operating.

However, I only use deet in the afternoons so it has worn off by bedtime. I refuse to wear it into my sleeping bag. That is for my sake rather than the bags but if still strong it will deteriorate the bag as well. Deet must also repel rhinoceroses as well. I have never been attacked by a rhino while wearing deet.

Last edited:

Cappy

Silly me I figured any one would know to take ya watch and glasses off when ya spray down with cutters. Smart phones jeep windows and other plexiglass screens i figured went with out saying. I was amazed that just this morning on another camper forum some one was singing the blues after hosing them selves and the kids down with deep woods off in their camper and ruining a tv, microwave window finish and assorted geek geer. I honestly could not believe folks could be that uninformed or brought up right.

MacGyver

I keep the bugs off of me by not camping in the Summer. Kinda sucks having to wait for cool/cold weather, but I won't deal with muggy and buggy trips anymore.

ppine

Forester
Bugs come with the territory. They coincide with beautiful wildflowers. It is part of the price we pay to be out there.

Cappy

i remember frog hunting when I was a kid we would smoke big stinky cigars to keep the bugs off our heads wearing a head light really attracted them and the smoke from the cigar kept them off your head and shoulders.

ppine

Forester
I made one trip to the Boundary Waters of Minnesota in 1985. That was the trip that taught me about insects. Cappy reminds me of camping at a remote place 60 miles in called the Big Current. It is the kind of place that gives fishermen wet dreams. The fishing was great but the skeeters came in huge clouds. I have vivid memories of making headnets from a sheet of mosquito netting and everyone was smoking cigars with the nets on, including the 4 cute girls we brought along.

Bojib

About 15 years ago I went to the Big South Fork National Rec Area on the Kentucky/Tennessee line to do some Mountain Biking. Apparently we were there right at peak deer fly season. I of course tore a tire and inner tube while out with no way to fix it, so had to walk it back to camp. No extra bug spray, I don't smoke so no cigars. Those things were landing with teeth out ready to bite, and once they opened up a couple bloody places the game was on.

I learned my lesson on that trip, now I go much better prepared for the bugs.

Diver97

Permethrin does work well and does last about two washings. One can will saturate one set of clothes well but two sets can be sprayed if you go lighter. Make sure it has thoroughly dried before wearing the clothes. Deet works the best but the carrier for the deet is critical. I sweat most repellants off in a short time. Sawyers and Uncle Ben's seem to be good brands but I still have the best luck with OFF's deep woods little clear puffer bottles with the blue cap. The "thermacell's" really work well sitting around but aren't very effective walking. They create about a 15 foot "safe" circle but as Cappy said, very expensive (relative to other methods) to keep operating.

However, I only use deet in the afternoons so it has worn off by bedtime. I refuse to wear it into my sleeping bag. That is for my sake rather than the bags but if still strong it will deteriorate the bag as well. Deet must also repel rhinoceroses as well. I have never been attacked by a rhino while wearing deet.
I always thought it was just bad luck that I never saw any rhinoceroses while camping. After all these years I find out it's the bug spray. :)

briansnat

Platnium Member

Permethrin works well on clothing. It will keep the ticks off and keep the skeeters from biting through your clothing, but it won't keep the insects off your arms and face. The best combination is DEET on your skin and permethrin on your clothing.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Deet works the best but the carrier for the deet is critical. I sweat most repellants off in a short time. Sawyers and Uncle Ben's seem to be good brands but I still have the best luck with OFF's deep woods little clear puffer bottles with the blue cap.
Try 3M Ultrathon (DEET). The cream stays on even with lots of sweat. The spray is good too, but the cream is the best repellent I've ever used.