about titanium cooking gear

stonetic

Hi I am new to this forum and wondering about titanium cooking stuff. I’ve found some vendors likes light my fire, timberbrother or etc selling titanium spork on Amazon but I still had no idea if titanium stuff is the best option for camping…

Grandpa

Welcome to the forums stonetic. I have no titanium gear so anything I say is strictly hearsay or unfounded opinion. I have been well satisfied with my backpacking lexan and quality aluminum cooking gear but then I do not do much "real" cooking with my setup. I am anxious to hear from others about the benefits of titanium as well.

For tailgate camping I stay with the heavy stuff. Dutch ovens and cast frypans.

MacGyver

Titanium is a lot more durable than aluminum, conducts heat better and is naturally non-stick. Many people have probably heard that there have been studies showing that aluminum cookware poses health risks, neurological disorders such as Alzheimers. That has led to the sale of aluminum cookware being prohibited in Germany, France, Belgium, Great Britain Switzerland, Hungary and Brazil. But, man... the cost of titanium is through the roof! If you have the fat wallet, titanium over aluminum is, in my book, a no-brainer.

ppine

Forester
I hate flying. I like to drive everywhere and bring my 3 dogs and small RV with my blankets, and my cooking gear.

Cappy

singing my tune ppine 18ft ultra lite camper loaded with cajun goodies and 2 dogs is how we roll. Just got home from a 1538 one way trip to western NY logged 3800 fore we got home with our dog and camper show its the only way to travel!!!

Hi I am new to this forum and wondering about titanium cooking stuff. I’ve found some vendors likes light my fire, timberbrother or etc selling titanium spork on Amazon but I still had no idea if titanium stuff is the best option for camping…
Ive used plastic, aluminum, and titanium. My opinion, for the cost I would stick with the plastic or aluminum sporks, they are cheaper and you wont be as angry if you loose it or break it.

ppine

Forester
Titanium equipment is a status symbol. If you are employed, and make $100k a year, by all means go buy some titanium, otherwise it makes no sense.

MacGyver

Titanium equipment is a status symbol. If you are employed, and make $100k a year, by all means go buy some titanium, otherwise it makes no sense.
Bet someone years ago said the same thing about aluminum tent poles and, before that, nylon tents.

MacGyver

My aluminum pot had seen better days, so I'm now the proud owner of the 2 quart Snow Peak Titanium Cook'n Save. Nothing like a good coupon to bring things down to somewhat reasonable. Hoping the durability and non-stick factors are what they're purported to be. Time will tell - and so will I after some field testing. :)

Cappy

I have given this some thought and if I was young and starting out I would definitely go with Titanium. I am convinced aluminum pots aint good for ya. I hate stainless steal it sticks bad and is almost impossible to get shiny again. We pretty much do the majority of our cooking at home on black iron or stainless. If I was still back packing and canoeing I would edefinately try one like you did Mac. PLEASE give us a good review and let us know about the non stick and cleaning part of it. They are expensive but if they last like black iron I'd pay for pots. cups and cutlery no to me thats over kill and loosable. but a good pot I'd go for.

MacGyver

PLEASE give us a good review and let us know about the non stick and cleaning part of it.
Now you've gone and done it. I'm supposed to be going out in a few weeks and now I have to make sure I go and actually cook something in the pot. I'm not like you and the missus, cooking up gourmet meals out in the wild. If I'm not relying on the culinary talents of the people I camp with, I'm good to go with Chef Mountain House. Two cups of boiling water, stir, wait ten minutes, breakfast/lunch/dinner is served. Guess I'll have to make a point of someone in the group using it.

ppine

Forester
I still have some aluminum cookware from an old BSA cook kit bought in 1961. Now I mostly use stainless steel. For car camping and boat trips cast iron and an aluminum Dutch Oven.