"Wanna See your Trails..."

Northern Dancer

No Matter Where You Go We Have Some
Mighty Fine Trails...

Love to see what you hike

in your neck of the woods.

upload_2016-10-23_20-49-56.jpeg

The Bruce Trail is not far from where I roam.

The Bruce Trail
, Canada's oldest and longest marked footpath, provides the only continuous public access to the magnificent Niagara Escarpment, a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve. Running along the Escarpment from Niagara to Tobermory, it spans more than 890 km [553 miles] of main Trail and over 400 km [249 miles] of associated side trails.

It's your turn...go ahead and brag.

Grandpa

I don't post pics any more but if you can find my albums in here I've posted many pics in the past. My wanderings cover the mountain wilderness's. My favorites are the Sawtooth, High Uintas, all the Wind Rivers, Selway-Bitterroot, Frank Church and their high traffic neighboring National Parks.

Northern Dancer

...the names of the various places you have trekked suggest a thousand stories or more. Sawtooth, High Uintas and Wind Rivers conjured up thoughts of an old west and the excitement of past years. I looked at some of your albums - gave me the idea to post. :Smile2:

Still new to the site and ponder what I can contribute - there seems to be a whole lot of collective experience here.

Northern Dancer

Some of the best places to hike have no trails.
---------------------------------------------------> :Smile2:

...really interesting comment - I hadn't thought of that - but you are right. So...do you have a best place that you hike that have no trails? Sounds really adventurous and probably a lot of hard work. I know, because I blazed a trail once. A trail blazer?

Northern Dancer

Here's another one. This is me getting ready for a trail ride through my woods.View attachment 2477
-------------------------------------------------------> :Smile2:
...that's something I've never done. I've backpacked, used a trail cart, walked aimlessly, and trudged along with a crowd but never on horseback. I'm getting some mighty fine ideas from this site. Now let's see...what end do I sit on again?

dinosaur

troublemaker
You'd love it, Dancer. You can travel thirty to fifty miles in a day. You'll be tired but once you stop and dress down your horse, brush him or her (that's a mare named Magic), and settle down with a fire and some food and the company of some good folks (maybe a beer or two and some good wine), you'll be fine for sleeping and ready for the next day. It's always good to have somebody along you can tell your lies to. But it's not always necessary. Sometimes it's just good to do it alone. Of course you're not really alone. A horse isn't a bad companion.

Northern Dancer

...I could see that picture clearly dinosaur and I think I would love it. Do you own more than one horse? I don't know much about horses but is that what they call a quarter horse? ...love to see any pictures of those gatherings you have had. Thanks for sharing.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Currently...nine. That horse is an Arabian. I'll see about some more pictures. By the way, all of those pictures were taken on my land. One of them shows part of the herd.

Northern Dancer

...I've often dream of owning a piece of land near a lake or river. The opportunity never happened - though I am blessed with so many opportunities to be outbound I don't complain.

Roybrew

I have only ridden horeys twice. 1st time the horse I was on just seen me as a package to carry, and kept right behind his buddy, it was his job. Last time was last month, and it was an entirely different ball game. I actually learned a little about horses. He was a good horse that loved to eat. Everyone was stopped admiring a local flowering plant, and when they continued on he waited to the last, I let him do what he wanted to do cause he was bigger then me, and he leaned down a chomped half that bush off and chewed as we continued to catch up. As we walked around a pond he decided to take the deep route that soaked me above my ankles. He liked to take short cuts through the briars, I think he was curious of what I would do. After an hour of me riding and scratching him behind his ears, which I think he liked, he turned to look at me, after that it was like we were buddies. He was very nimble going through the woods with stepping over logs and rocks, and never run my legs into a tree. I did a very gracious dismount after three hours of riding that left me lying on the ground looking up into his blue eyes, and I could tell he was ashamed of me while I was on my back.

Northern Dancer

...okay, okay - I confess. I have a friend that is proud owner of quarter horses and he invited me to go on a trail ride. As fully competent as I was I accepted the invitation, err...make that - challenge. After all if Hop-a-long Cassidy can do it with such ease I was sure that I could handle the situation with equal professionalism. WRONG! ...didn't have a clue what I was doing. Graham gave me some quick Hollywood instructions and off we went. Up hills and down hills, through a stream, along a paths, around bends; the ground looked so far from where I sat - then finally it happened. I'm not sure exactly what I did or didn't do but the horse, Topper, had enough. Not only did I not know how to ride a horse I discovered much to my embarrassment that I don't know how to fly either - because that's exactly what happened next. He was up, then he was down and then I was off and landed on my lower extremities. I was fine and Graham my gracious trail rider guide treated the whole incident as a normal circumstance. Normal? It scared the hockey sticks out of me.