Firearms while camping

Diver97

I always take a firearm with me when I camp for protection against predators. This is normally not a problem as it is legal the places I normally camp. Next summer I plan on going to Glacier national park for a couple weeks. I would like to drive into Canada for a day trip. Any suggestions on what to do with my handgun while I am in Canada. I can't take it with me and I can't leave it in my tent. I am sure others have faced this problem and found a solution. I prefer not to leave it at home.
Thanks
Alan

Grandpa

It is now legal (providing you are legal) to carry a firearm in our NP' s. However it is still illegal to discharge that firearm. Best to leave it in a safe place in both the park and Canada.

ppine

Forester
Leave it with some park personnel at Glacier. My solution for travelling around the border is to bring a big lever action rifle.

Cappy

We just got home from a Thanksgiving camping trip. The first time I can ever remember being with out a gun on a trip. We realized too late that it stayed propped by the door at home. Though we have never fired it at anything other than supper I must admit I felt a lil uncomfortable with out it.

Diver97

Honestly...one time I packed my pistol in a hard plastic case and buried it the night before we went on a day trip...just a thought
I actually thought about this but was not very comfortable with the idea. It may be my best option if I can't leave it with a ranger as ppine suggested. I also considered trying to find a self storage place nearby and getting the smallest one available for a month. It would be worth it to make sure it did not get in to the wrong hands. I am more worried about someone stealing it and then using it in an unlawful manner than I am about the monetary loss.

goforit75

I actually thought about this but was not very comfortable with the idea. It may be my best option if I can't leave it with a ranger as ppine suggested. I also considered trying to find a self storage place nearby and getting the smallest one available for a month. It would be worth it to make sure it did not get in to the wrong hands. I am more worried about someone stealing it and then using it in an unlawful manner than I am about the monetary loss.
I was uncomfortable as well...but separated it into two pieces, upper half went in one hole, lower half in another. Did this as a last resort.