The Shoot The Bull Thread

Roybrew

Warming up after a couple of days in the teens and twentys, and the white stuff that was on the ground is disappearing. I like the snow, but around here it melts off in a couple days and then it gets muddy. Been replacing the plastic shutters on the house with wooden ones. I got some more pine boards the other day, and getting ready to cut em to size. I don't mind the cutting and screwing together, but the 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint takes forever. Supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow maybe try to drag dad out for some fishing.

Grandpa

County grader made it in this morning so we are free again. He put in 16 hours yesterday, trying to keep the roads open. We had about two feet of VERY heavy snow, We are actually lucky it froze last night or we would be getting the flooding California is getting.

Cappy

Ohh man I sure will be praying for ya that ya dont get no flood I wasn't worried a lick when I heard ya were snowed in cause I have no doubt that you were safe. But flooding sucks and down here can be down right nasty. I wouldn't wish that on nobody

Roybrew

Wow 2 feet of snow! I think we had that much once back in spring of 93. It completely shut east tn. down. They had the national Guard out here assisting the local DOT. I was laid off at that time, and had nowhere to be. As far as flooding goes, I think the spring of 77 was bad due to lots of snow and ice in the north Carolina and Virginia mtns. Plus we had alot of rain. It took out a some bridges on a couple of rivers within 35 miles of where I lived. We're just not used to getting that much snow around here, so sometimes a light dusting will close schools. It does get icy here real quick.

Grandpa

We are used to a lot of snow and normally can deal with it with little effort. But this storm had so much water in the snow that it was difficult to move. We now have 52 inches of snow on my front lawn.

Cappy

ya know it's funny but thanks to the internet I consider ya a friend and have a great deal of respect for you. We could not be in more different environments. I am sitting 36ft above seal level sweating from a lil gardening.

Grandpa

ya know it's funny but thanks to the internet I consider ya a friend and have a great deal of respect for you. We could not be in more different environments. I am sitting 36ft above seal level sweating from a lil gardening.
And the 2nd step of my front porch is 5280 ft above sea level. So says my son in law with his gps, but my map maker says it's only 5100 feet. But elevation difference aside, I consider you and your wife friends as well. I often show grandma your posts and most of your pics. Hopefully one day we can share some stories around that fire.

Roybrew

Well happy Birthday to Mrs Cappy. I wonder what the stars says about January people, not that I ever read that stuff.

Roybrew

Hey Grandpa, I thought I was in the hills... I am at 1037 in a valley. Highest point in the smokey mtns is Mt Mitchel.
I bet the weather can realy get to extremes in the winter, and I bet there some nice scenery.

Roybrew

The misses and I went to a local city park for a hike around the lake. It was in the upper 50s and I just had to get out. It's a park on top of a mountain where the city used to get their water, but they stopped using it in the 40's and turned it into a city park some years later.
We walked to the other side of the lake to check on a beaver dam.
When we got on the other side of the lake, we saw where the beavers have been working
We continued on our short hike.
At the upper end of one valley there is a foot bridge across one of the beaver ponds
Across the water is the beaver den we just visited a half hour ago
We visited the wolves after we heard them howling
hard to get a good picture of the through the wire. A few years ago a tree fell on the fence and a couple of them ventured out. They found them with in a day or two, and there was one that a lady was feeding at her house. She said she thought it was a stray dog that belonged to some one. They bolted these large timbers to the top of the fence so a tree wouldn't fall through again
We got to see the bobcats out prowling around, and man are they fat. The otters were a no show, which is normal, I guess like the cats they sleep all day. It was a good day to be out.

Cappy

In an effort to get out of Peg's hair as she cleaned the house, I jumped in Tinkerbail and headed over the levee to the river bank. Since it was drizzling I dropped her in the low set and crossed my ancles and let her ;put along at 2 miles per hour. just riding along the river bank. I came across a downed willow tree sprouting oyster mushrooms I fished my bow saw outa the tool box and got 2 branches bout 3 inches around that were showing baby shrooms and I got a cluster of nice fresh ones from the trunk and brought em home I put the branch pieces by a old log I had earlier and tried to transplant the good shrooms on the log and branches the foggy days to come will tell the tale but I am hoping to have a couple shroom logs out back by the compost pile time will tell and the ride was fun. Not a bad way to spend a couple hours on a misth drizzley day.

MacGyver

Today, I actually raced a State Police cop, pretty much called him an idiot when he pulled me over AND I didn't get a ticket.

Sitting at a light, I see an SUV in the rear view mirror moving over to the right, looking like he was going to whip around me. Light changes, I floor it. He's right to the right of me when I see the window on the SUV coming down and I see the last thing I wanted to see: State Boy. Pulled into the median strip where I'm invited to pull into the parking lot on the left.

Cop: "Trying to see how fast your truck goes?"
Dumb*ss Me: "I drive 300-400 miles a week mostly in Ellicott City & Columbia (Crowded area in Maryland with a LOT of crazy drivers). I get tired of idiots playing the snipe game at lights. But, you got me."

Cop takes the license and registration and comes back in about two minutes - with just the license and registration.

"Someone who drives for a living doesn't want a reckless driving on his record. I would suggest you let the idiots get around you at the lights - even if they're me".

Hikenhunter

Today, I actually raced a State Police cop, pretty much called him an idiot when he pulled me over AND I didn't get a ticket.

Sitting at a light, I see an SUV in the rear view mirror moving over to the right, looking like he was going to whip around me. Light changes, I floor it. He's right to the right of me when I see the window on the SUV coming down and I see the last thing I wanted to see: State Boy. Pulled into the median strip where I'm invited to pull into the parking lot on the left.

Cop: "Trying to see how fast your truck goes?"
Dumb*ss Me: "I drive 300-400 miles a week mostly in Ellicott City & Columbia (Crowded area in Maryland with a LOT of crazy drivers). I get tired of idiots playing the snipe game at lights. But, you got me."

Cop takes the license and registration and comes back in about two minutes - with just the license and registration.

"Someone who drives for a living doesn't want a reckless driving on his record. I would suggest you let the idiots get around you at the lights - even if they're me".
Good one dude. You got lucky. Thank God for that one

Cappy

We up this morning to quite a sight. Our pup Jolie quietly napping in her spot covered in mud. It's been raining for the lat couple days and the yard is very swampy. We slept late snuggling and reading and enjoying the rainy weather but Jolie got bored and went out side and found a mud puddle to frolic in. From the looks of things she had a ball So even before coffee I hadda drag her to the bathtub and give our playfull pup a good bath. She had mud every where and enjoyed her bath a lil too much causing some of her mud to get on me. Now that its over it was fully I wish I'd gotten my camera out but it was in my carry sack in the jeep. It was raining hard and I didn't go get it though after the bath it looked like I had.

Cappy

It hit 80F today, and I been cutting the grass yea I know its valentine's day but Peg aint into cut flowers I left a patch of clovers with flowers in the front yard and she was thrilled. like a lil green cloud with the white flowers on em. Got the front all mowed but I guess coming off this stomach flu I aint up to full speed yet. The out the fence yard was all I could do. The bug left me dehydrated and anemic so I am thinking I need some fluids and gonna tackle the back yard tomorrow. :beer3: