Pheasant stew?

carmen

I came across a site this week talking about Pheasant stew and I could swear in some states it was illegal to hunt them. This was years ago as I remember my uncle telling me that he was not happy with it (he was the biggest hunter in the family). Anyone heard of the stew, know the recipe or if its legal again?

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Some states...like NY...don't have many areas left where pheasants used to thrive. Where they exist here though, they may still be hunted. I think that most of the better known pheasant hunting states are in the upper mid-west.

So, yes...they may be legally taken in some states.

I've never had them in a stew, always roasted them, and they are tasty .

Sagebrusher

I don't think it should be illegal in ANY state since they are not native North America. Instead of introducing pheasants, they should have managed better for the native birds such as grouse, turkey, etc.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Pheasants are my 3rd most favorite upland game bird behind Chukar partridge and ruffed grouse. Grandma just fries them up like fried chicken. When it's stew time, she goes with the Sage Hens, Blue Grouse and Sharptail grouse.

Hikenhunter

I make my pheasants into a cassaroll.(sp?) Just alternate meat, several different cheeses, and your favorite italian sauce, in layers in a cass. dish. bake at 475 degrees till done. mmmm good

carmen

It has been years since I have had any, and I am talking well before I was married with kids or even grand kids. I am pretty sure my uncle was in PA when he hunted but he traveled a good bit too so he was a little of everywhere. Maybe back then the NE states did not have any limitations?