Sealing a Leaky Tent Question

bibsoutdoors

Cappy, this is interesting and contrary to my own experience. I live in south eastern Wisconsin were winter temps get into the mid twenties as a norm (yes much colder for spells) and in the summer 80's - 90's (and again much hotter for a spell). I'm an amateur radio operator with a fifty foot tower. My coax runs from the antennas (six different antennas) down the tower. I hold them in place so they don't blow around in the nasty wind we get on occasion by tapping them to the tower with gorilla tape. I've had then up in the air and in all elements for nine years now and have never had to replace any of the tape.

This has me curious so I just got back in from climbing up, only about thirty feet or so, to check it out fearing maybe I wasn't seeing something I should be and fortunately I can report, things are still ok. You can absolutely see where the sun has been beating on it but it is still holding.

You wouldn't have said what you said without cause, so I'm wondering about your experience with it; conditions, what it's used for, how long (well I guess you said within a year or two.) I hope you respond back, there can't be this big of a disparity with the same product without some reasonable explanation. Geez, where's Sherlock when you need him! Ha ha.

Bibsoutdoors

Northern Dancer

...damaged or worn out stuff just gives me a mighty fine excuse to purchase new and usually updated equipment.

Cappy

I cleaned and gorilla glued several patio things a couple years ago now the glue is brittle and comes loose when ya touch them. I have a broken frog statue and a small table apart now that need re gluing maybe I got a bad bottle or some thing I dont know but I had bad luck with gorilla glue. Not olny that I dont like how it swells when it dries and looks like ya welded what ya glued. Maybe I mis spoke about the tape the glue pissed me off so bad I may have transferred my anger to the tape. Now that I think about it I aint used the tape much.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I never had a problem with Gorilla Glue. Maybe you didn't wet the surfaces enough before you glued it. It's also best to clamp it tight. Yeah, I know there's excess that expands outward but that's how you know you've used enough glue and it can be sanded off.

The tape is also excellent especially in the field. A single strip of this stuff applied to the outside of a boat, canoe or tent will seal it perfectly but you have to press it down hard to make sure you're using the sticky stuff correctly.

I'm not very smart but the school of hard knocks has taught me that learning how to use tools correctly will provide superior results.

Cappy

Well I aint too smart either but know enough to try something a second time if follks I trust say so. So I'll get another bottle and wait for something to break with a border collie pup it shouldn't take too long

Roybrew

Well I aint too smart either but know enough to try something a second time if follks I trust say so. So I'll get another bottle and wait for something to break with a border collie pup it shouldn't take too long
Ha, when Jollie gets done chewing on something gorilla tape or glue ain't gonna matter. You'll need one of them 3D printers to replicate it.

Roybrew

All jokes aside I have used both the glue and tape. The glue I have only used for wood projects and nothing has fallen apart yet, but I don't like the foaming slathering stuff to clean off my project before I can put a finish on it. The tape I like. It sticks very well and is very durable. I work with sulfuric acid in an anodizing process at work. One day my belly started itching and after scratching I noticed my shirt was starting to tear cross ways. I must've got acid on my shirt. The acid kept eating away the cotton and I couldn't have my belly button peeking out, so I grabbed a roll of the black gorilla tape we had in the tool box and laid my shirt out flat on a table inside out and stuck a strip of that tape over the eaten out area. Would you believe that the shirt went through the washer and dryer several times with that one piece of tape on it. Oh yeah I wore that shirt for a good month or so before my wife threw it away. See I usually do my own laundry, I don't like having my wife wait on me hand and foot, plus Landry is easy. Dump clothes basket in, add detergent, turn on washer. When done throw in dryer then shovel out back into clothes basket, put in closet. I get clean clothes out of basket until basket is empty, pick dirty clothes up from floor of closet and put back in basket ready to wash. Oh she hates when I do that. Big deal most are work clothes, and they don't care how I look.

Roybrew

Ok here it is, I just turned on the tube and here is the first commercial I seen
There you have it! Flex Tape! He cut a boat straight up the middle from bow to stern, and flex taped it together then took off in it with about a 15 hp motor.