Any hangers?

Mudslide

Im on a quest now to find an inexpensive way to fab a bugnet on the cheap. BIG bug probs down here starting in April through about late Oct. I would like something with a quick set up though so all my tenter friends will still be jealous over my set up time compared to theirs heh heh. :)

briansnat

Platnium Member
Im on a quest now to find an inexpensive way to fab a bugnet on the cheap. BIG bug probs down here starting in April through about late Oct. I would like something with a quick set up though so all my tenter friends will still be jealous over my set up time compared to theirs heh heh. :)
Head over to hammockforums.net. There are a lot of DIYers there who can probably give you ideas.

Cappy

I have owned a couple surplus jungle hammocks for years. They are rugged dependable and cheap. couple hints ya need to sleep on an army surplus blanet in the hammock and kinda make the sides go up cause Cajun skeeters can penetrate the canvas bottom and mosketer neting sides with their extra long peckers:tinysmile_tongue_t: if ya arm touches the netting side they can "peck ya "right through it. I love these "hangers and have spent countless hundreds of nights in them. Often pitched over open water swamp with nothing below cept ya canoe.

http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/woodland-camo-jungle-hammock-p6555.aspx?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=COqckpuNk7YCFROoPAodxksAEQ

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I just got a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe hammock and supershelter for my birthday. After one night, I'm a convert, It was maybe my best night sleep ever. From now on, if I'm sleeping solo, I'll be in a hammock. Why did not try this years ago?

Anyone else got the hammock bug?
I started with the hennessy explorer ultralight when I got into backpacking, because it was light and cheapr than most of the decent single-person tents, and I didn't want to sleep on the ground.
I got the bigger tarp and bought an underquilt (because the first night I used it, it was 40 degrees and I didnt have a quilt and was very cold. The things you learn...). Ive replaced my heavy sleeping bag with a top quilt, so now my quilts together weigh what my sleeping bag alone weighed.
I bought an ENO hammock too, for my Winter hammock. It's even lighter than the Hennessy, and doesn't have a bug net, so it makes a good hammock for cold/bug free weather.
I modified my ENO with whoopie slings. Wow, what difference! Going back to do the mod on the Hennessy as soon as more whoopies arrive.

If you've already got the hennessy, you can spend $50 and get an ENO single, because you have everything else (straps, tarps...) that ENO makes you buy seperately.

Agfadoc

I have had a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with a Super Shelter for about 4 years and am picking up a Dream hammock. I will never sleep on the ground again. Love me some hammock.

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
This was last Saturday. At 6:30 am it was 28 deg with MSS int. bag, supershelter and 3/4 ccf pad. I was nice and toasty.

Attachments

Last edited: